RNN14 54C00 board issue

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

Eric

RNN14 54C00 board issue

Post by Eric »

It took me a while to figure this one out, but it looks like there's a corruption or some other fault in the code/firmware that is programmed into type3 boards that come with the 54C00 base image:

once the coolant temperature reaches 96 Celcius the ECU goes into emergency mode and the car becomes undrivable.
You have to turn ignition off for a few seconds to get the ECU back into normal operation mode again...which is VERY annoying !

How can this be fixed ?
Is the base image/code fixed into the board or is there a way to re-upload a complete 32kb ROM ? (resyncing only syncs the vars/tables/maps)

-Eric
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Hi Eric

Contact Pete directly about this one because we were made aware of an issue where the 54C00 image we initially had there was a problem with that particular ROM

We redownloaded it ourselves and removed the old ROM image

He may have to organise a replacement board since there is no mechanism to overwrite over the existing ROM apart from using a base image programmer board

thanks
Matt
Eric

Post by Eric »

Thanks Matt, I will contact Pete about it.

-Eric
PL

Post by PL »

Hi Eric,

Can't say I've heard of that one before. We've done quite a few boards for GTiR and never had any complaints bar the one Matt mentioned - and that was to do with driving the factory boost cut solenoid.

I tuned a mate's racing buggy with the same board and he's now been racing it (very) successfully for many seasons. And he definitely sees some high temps.

I'll set one up on the bench and check it out.

PL
Eric

Post by Eric »

Hi Pete, it's definately caused by the 54c00 base code/firmware in my Nistune board.

As soon the engine gets at 96C all seems ok as long the car is just idling.
Once you try to rev the car. it starts to hunt between 1000-1500 RPM and will get past 1500 RPM with great difficulty then it hits the 2000RPM emergency rev limiter.
You'll have to reset the ECU to get things back to normal again.
As this car is used for rally driving, this is a bit of a problem during a championship..

If I use the same exact ecu, same maps,etc but with my standard eprom daughterboard and 69C05 code, the problem is no longer there.
(Also the car feels more responsive for some reason)

AFAIK there is no difference in actual code between the 54C00 and 69C05..

-Eric
PL

Post by PL »

Hi Eric,

Interesting about the 54C00 vs 69C05. This may be it. Have you tried running the 54C00 in an EPROM board?

I recently got hold of a 69C05 ECU (at considerable expense!) so I'll give it a go on the weekend.

I've seen this in some of the other SR20 ECU's. I tried to run a U13 image in a local N15 once. Very similar issue. This thing would get to 67 degrees and go into limp home mode. If you turned the car off (and let the heatsoak take temp over 67 degrees) it would then run fine!

PL
rem3

Post by rem3 »

i have a same problem with my 54c00 nistune board to 69c00 euro ecu :?
PL

Post by PL »

Hey guys,

I tried running a NIStune board with 54C00 code in a 69C05 ECU on the bench and I couldn't replicate this fault.

Has anybody tried running 54C00 code in an EPROM board on a 69C05 ECU?

PL
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Hi Eric

Are you able to get consult logs at all when this error is occuring. Maybe we are missing something in a combination of input conditions when trying to repeat on the bench?

thanks
Matt
rem3

Post by rem3 »

Always a problem with consult or not.
the probleme this product only when the car heats up at a slower.when i drive i have no problem.
Eric

Post by Eric »

>> Have you tried running the 54C00 in an EPROM board?

No, not yet...I will try this.

>> Are you able to get consult logs at all when this error is occuring.

I have removed the ECU with the Nistune board from the car and it's running the EPROM board again, but once I get the opportunity I will reinstall the Nistune ECU and try to get some log files and do some more research.
If it's the 54c00 basecode, I can probably replicate it with my EPROM board as well..

One thing I forgot to mention is that it usually happened while the car was waiting in line for a run (idling or slowly moving) or just after a run, when the car was cooling down (also idling).
I can't remember if it was ever a problem while actually driving the car, but it could also be the temps stayed below 96C once the car was moving.

-Eric