How to get external data into NIStune?

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

MichaS14a

How to get external data into NIStune?

Post by MichaS14a »

Hi!

I am opening this post to prevent digress on this subject:
viewtopic.php?t=856
kenbam wrote:Do a search for the DLP A/D converter. I think its reasonably priced and im sure it can do what you want.

WAIT, did it for you

DLP Design A/D Converter
http://www.dlpdesign.com/usb/io8.shtml
Read upto one AFR input and 6 configurable A/D inputs from the DLP A/D converter. Plug in any wideband device with 0-5 volt output and watch and log it in NIStune.
So the question is:

How NIStune gets contact with the DLP-IO8-Board and data from this solution?
I read the manual ( http://www.dlpdesign.com/usb/dlp-io8-ds-v15.pdf ) and it should be not hard to implement this in NIStune.
But is it already possible to contact the DLP-IO8 from NIStune?

How I can connect e.g. the AVC-R Map sensor to the DLP-IO8? Must I tee the signal from inside the AVC-R to the DLP-IO8 or can I connect the Map sensor directly to the DLP-IO8?

How NIStune distinguishes the 8 different inputs from the DLP-IO8?

I think about reading/logging the following values:
- Boost (with AVC-R sensor or AVC-R itself)
- EGT (52mm Greddy Gauge)
- Wideband-Lambda (AEM UEGO Wideband (no problem since the AEM UEGO has already a 0-5 V output)
- and the intake temperatur with a DS18B20 module (Datasheet: http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/DS18B20.pdf

I have already a solution to read the intake temperatur but with the DLP-IO8 it is useful to put the intake temp. informations to this solution as it will be logable (I hope...).

Can anyone help me to solve the problems? If this works we all have an open solution for monitoring external data signals in NIStune itself in one logfile! :)

I have searched the "Innovate LM-2" which is used by @UNISA JECS to connect the AVC-R map sensor but this is much to expensive to "only" connect a external sensor to NIStune:
LM-2 Lambdacontroller & Datenlogger mit OBD-II
469,00 €
:oops:

EDIT: I am sorry but I think this topic should be in the section "Hardware Enhancements". Are an admin is able to place this thread to "Hardware Enhancements"?

Greets
Michael
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

thats fine for putting this thread here...

in regards to your question

DLP inputs
1 = AFR (eg from AEM UEGO output)
2 = Aux1 (eg boost)
3 = Aux2 (eg EGT if it has 0-5 volt output from guage)
4 = Aux3
5 = Aux4
6 = Aux5

as long as the AVC-R has a 0-5 volt output you can connect it in directly to the DLP A/D converter

You then use the lookup tables (see wideband section in software manual) to map the 0-5 volts to a usable value which gets displayed on the guages inside Nistune

I tried to make this as flexible as possible for this
MichaS14a

Post by MichaS14a »

Okay, thanks for the info! I will read the section in the manual. :)
Nissan S14a (SR20DET) :-)
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

The attachment is already converted to bit, to get the voltage from the bit value just divide by 204.8.

viewtopic.php?t=856
Attachments
For Nistune boost vacuum lookup table apexi avcr map sensor.xls
(39 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
chris2712au

Post by chris2712au »

I use a GMdelco with the dlp board... I can give out the look up tables if you wish..

I think I bought my board from saelig in the states...

another thing do the unused inputs have to be held low ? some of my auxilaries are floating around..

I have 1 - AFR, 2 - boost

Are the I/O points all analogue inputs by default ? or do you have to run the ascii commands each time you use it to set them up as I believe they reset with the power off..
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

nistune commands the device to read them as 0-5 volt inputs. if you leave some floating the voltage will just show random numbers in the aux boxes on the wideband display etc. yeah probably best to ground them if you want unused ones showing zero
chris2712au

Post by chris2712au »

thanks matt, I am looking to get some more sensors... inlet air temp especially..
brett_32i

Post by brett_32i »

just reading through the lm1 documentation, and it lists an aux input cable which allows 5 0-5v inputs to be used.

does this plug straight into the lm1 and can be accessed by nistune?

So i could buy the lm1, and variuos 0-5v (map, inlet temp) sensors and view/log them all in nistune?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

thats correct its more of an aux box. we support those extra parameters for display inside nistune
Black pepper

Re: How to get external data into NIStune?

Post by Black pepper »

how do you connect the sensor to measure the inlet temp. any photos?
foliage

Post by foliage »

Is it possible to use this data as a tuning instrument, eg set up an intake air temp vs ignition trim table? Or are there no extra maps that can be utilised for this?
CoZZm0

Post by CoZZm0 »

I always thought that cars without an IAT had it inside the AFM and it was compensated for (the resultant reduction in density), internally to the AFM ?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

GTR has both (and ECU uses it) but other ECUs dont take in the IAT input. Yes AFM uses ambient air temp as part of determining amount of heat lost from the hot wire during load calculations

There is no IAT output on AFMs through
foliage

Post by foliage »

So with eg an r32 rb20det ecu there would be no way to get intake air temperature ignition correction?

Someone over on SAU suggested perhaps using the coolant temp sender as an intake air temp sender, but then you'd lose all your cold start corrections etc, probably causing more issues than having intake temp correction would be worth.

Thoughts?
PL

Post by PL »

Yeah, that'll be the big difference between RB20 and RB26 systems - RB26 has inlet air temp sensor. Might be worth scrounging a 26 loom and ECU for this reason.

PL