Logger usablility

Discuss possible software enhancements/changes here.

Moderator: Matt

Stinky
Site Admin

Logger usablility

Post by Stinky »

First, I'm not real nuts about having to name a file before i can use the logger. I know it sounds stupid but its very inconvienent. I'd like to be able to open the logger, hit record, record my run, check to make sure the log is actually worth saving, and then save the log to a named file if I choose. Maybe its as simple as automatically saving the log to a temp.csv file automatically and asking to save before the log is closed.

Second, I didnt notice a time counter on the logger as it was recording. This is minor but its nice to know how long the log has been running.

Finally, not to beat this to death, but I think a preview area in the log player needs to be created. It's hard stopping on a high point or something on the log when you cant see where it peaks.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

time counter during recording had to come out when moving to multithreaded because it was leaving white 'blotches' over the screen. it will be put back in when i get time

in 'save' mode i can put in a timestamped default file so you can just hit record. that would take about a night to implement

the preview area will be done, but not at this point in time since it is about a weeks worth of work to implement
Stinky
Site Admin

Post by Stinky »

I just noticed you have the mouse click feature in the new version of Nistune .78?. Thanks. That's much better. Now to ask for more.....

- Would be nice to be able to drag the selection line and have the live display update as you do so.
- The scroll window seems to jerk to a certain window of time making it difficult to stop in a certain area of interest.
- Any way to leave the selection line in the middle or even all the way left so you can see whats coming up before it shows on the live display?
- Replacing the pc time or providing the log length time in addition would be nice. (For example when I want to see how long the log ran for before it disconnected it's a pain to have to figure it out with the pc clock time)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

- With the way i've implemented the red line, I should be able to show middle/dragged area of the display logging during playback in an upcoming version, just some more changes but yes it appears possible now

- I mentioned in another thread i've broken the forwards/backwards slide feature when making timing improvements. I will need to compare the code against a previous verision and see where I broke it... It will be fixed and yes it is annoying

- Log length time and log time during recording are noted, I've just got to record the time started and then do some calcuations. Its on my big list
Stinky
Site Admin

Post by Stinky »

New version .82 is working well with the moveable line.
Stinky
Site Admin

Post by Stinky »

Two new issues.
- The time displayed doesnt appear to be in the correct format. For example I get " 01:09:569:17922". The 569 being the seconds should be only two digits. Am I missing something?

- The new temp file thats created when opening the log player remains in the folder whether or not I hit record. It's just a blank csv file with the column labels. Is there any way to make this temp file transparent? I'll post more about this tomorrow.

Also.
- It would be nice to have the timestamp match where the red line is.
Stinky
Site Admin

Post by Stinky »

Wish list item.
Ok about the transparent temp log file...

Here's my vision of how I think it should work. Basically you open the log player and you are presented with the normal player options (play,record, ff,rw,stop...) as well as a Save and Open button.

-If you plan on recording a log you simply hit the record button as soon as the log player window comes up. You record your log and hit stop. This entire time the log player should have been recording your log to a temp file. The naming convention(nistune-date-time) you picked would work well incase of a crash or something so you could find the temp file.
-Now here's the big change. Before exiting the log window you must save the log. You could either do this manually or the log player window will ask you if you want to save before you can exit. (Would you like to save this file? Yes, No, Cancel). If you choose to save the file you would be presented with the usual save dialog box. It might be nice if you could already have the temp file name already in the file name box incase i would like to keep the temp file name format. If I choose a different file name the program should rename/move the temp file to where I chose to save it.
-If I choose not to save the file then the temp file should be deleted altogether.

The main goal in all of this is to get logging as quickly as possible but to avoid unwanted logs being saved and to allow saving logs with a desired name if the user chooses to do so.