Issues with Logging Mode.

Discuss software bugs and related problems here.

Moderator: Matt

Stinky
Site Admin

Issues with Logging Mode.

Post by Stinky »

First let me say that I love the higher sample rate. Thats the sort of live display I was hoping for. However, I've noticed that when I enter Logging Mode the car doesnt run right. I havent taken it on the road yet but I can tell from reving the engine that something isnt right. The best way to describe it is as a random mis. Theres definitely something going on. When I switch back to Tuner Mode things seem to come back to normal. Any ideas? Too much for the ecu to handle?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

i've only done logging mode for the new changes on the bench, and was concerned when you mentioned that usb download was bogging the car around idle in regards to the higher stream rate for logging

yes i hate to say that it probably looks like it is too much for the ecu to handle. nissan consult runs one byte at a time in a separate loop over a lower baud rate

usb requires large packets of data which it does each interrupt.

not to worry however, as it shouldn't do that on such a small loop so there may be something i can fix up to improve this problem so the ecu doesn't spend as much time in the usb loop

i'll need to try it out and sit down and go through experimenting with this
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

i haven't had any problems in running the car with it in logging mode :( however will still look into the issue. do you notice it in higher revs?
Stinky
Site Admin

Post by Stinky »

I tried logging mode again yesterday to see what it did when driving. It feels like the car completely skips a cylinder or two every few seconds. I didnt try reving it very high but I'd say it does it about the same al teh way to 3500 or 4000rpm. As soon as I take it out of logging mode things are back to normal. One thing that I noticed which might have just been a coincidence is that when I first started the car and put it in logging mode it didnt seem to bad. It could have just been me driving carefully because the car was still cold. Anyway its definitely there. I'll try version .78 and see what happens.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

this problem is talked about in another thread (bogging thread). it appears to be the same problem

i chucked the Z31 image into my R31 ecu last night and ran it on the bench. i definately do notice the injectors skipping when in 'logging mode'. this disappears when in 'tuning mode'

at this stage there is some kind of difference between the R31 and Z31 BIN images which is causing the problem. the skipping sounds quite bad. i think you having the exact same problem with the 'consult download'

what im hoping is a simple firmware code incompatibility issue with the Z31. i need to look into what part of the code is causing the issue (if copying all the parameters into a buffer is causing it, or copying the buffer contents out to the USB chip is causing the problem). i have a few methods of isolating the issue, so hopefully can come around to a workable solution once i find the cause

the interrupt code calling my patch routine is exactly the same, and it leaves the patch routine the same so i dont know what is causing yours to bomb out. it sounds like that when its processing the download/logging command, that it doesn't call the rest of the interrupt routine, which would not inject any fuel for that instance, hence the engine skipping