Nistune & Automatics

Discuss possible software enhancements/changes here.

Moderator: Matt

knightrous

Nistune & Automatics

Post by knightrous »

This is just a request if it could be added in at some stage. I recently serviced my automatic transmission in my S13 Silvia and I found that it has a temperature sensor mounted in the oil pan, I've also found reference in it in the S13 workshop manual. IIRC this sensor is connected to the black box on the back of the transmission, which is then connected to the ECU.

My request is if it can be found out how to do it, can we have the transmission temperature guages, logging etc etc added for the automatics? If needed, I can probably ship the loom, auto black box and sensor for a CA18DET Auto transmission if your interested in this Matt.

The temp of the auto is pretty crucial to them surviving and I wouldn't mind knowing whats going on in my auto until I swap her out for a manual. My auto gets a lot of abuse, so it's a precautionary thing to me :D
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I think the CA18 is going to be a special case because most CONSULT ECUs have diagnostics supported directly by the protocol

The CONSULT protcol supports A/T ECU table which has its own initialisation, stream, self diagnostics, ECU info and erase error commands. That particular protocol cannot be used simulatenously with the ECU CONSULT protocl (ie cant do both guages at once)

Now for the CA18, it is possible that it is just an additional RAM address I need to monitor so could be a simple change.

What I would need in an interim is how the transmission ECU is connected to the vehicle ECU (does it have its own TX/RX lines?) so I need some documentation about that. I can do a little investigation into this for what its worth

I cant do much more than this at this stage since I'm flat out with installs and high priprity software updates
knightrous

Post by knightrous »

There is a full wiring diagram in the S13 workshop manual.

http://www.silviansw.com/manuals/s13_manual.zip

If you need to get some test hardware let me know :)
JasonKemmerer

Post by JasonKemmerer »

Matt

Was curious if you could do the same for the Z32 automatics.
I know they also use a temp sensor. Would be nice to monitor.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

There is a technical limitation here

The consult communication is done directly to the device in question over the lines

So you plug in the cable, and then that cable goes to the A/T computer, ECU and other systems

You can only 'talk' to one system at a time. So if you are talking to the ECU then you cannot initialise and talk to the A/T computer also

The only option here is to select unit to communicate with and then when you hit consult, it will then display the guages for that unit

This means that you wont have your maptracing or other guages when the A/T is enabled.

It sounds like you would really want this as an 'extra' guages but I dont think there is any way of doing this
JasonKemmerer

Post by JasonKemmerer »

I see makes total sense. Would be nice but not totally necessary.
kenbam

Post by kenbam »

My tech edge WB O2 sensor controller has Aux inputs, if you run a WB A/F sensor and it has aux inputs it would be easy to set that up to read the temp. Nearly all temp sensors are NTC so you would only need the values for the calibration charts. I log MAP using the same AUX inputs.