Another status update

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

Matt
Site Admin

Another status update

Post by Matt »

I've been busy with wideband, emulation and consult improvements.

Heres the deal

- Dual wideband support has been coded and in its initial testing works
- Now got 6 Auxillary wideband guages which have min/max and interpolation from CSV files completed. Requires some testing
- Got a borrowed romulator and Moates ostrich currently been working on dual emulation. Got that working last night with two romulators in SPLIT and ODD/EVEN modes.

Tested out S13 (SPLIT), S14 (ODD/EVEN), S15 (ODD/EVNE) and K11 (SPLIT) using standard daughterboards with romulators plugged in

Romualtors do upload/download properly, updates seem to work most times but sometimes I think the romulator is missing some updates (since the logs indicate we have written the data, and romulator confirms it.... so still investigating that one)

Also romulator seems to drop the ECU sometimes during mass updates (like selecting a block and updating / filling it). I'm a bit suspect on their hardware and will see if moates is any better

We also have got a user with a calum realtime board (which behaves like a romulator and has built in consult) and having a few compatiblity and hardware issues with that. The calum board seems to drop the USB connection to the PC during starting, wideband connection and sometimes randomly. I have improved error reporting for these type of hardware problems.

Also looking into adding map locking (so others cant see your tunes) into the application software soon.

I've gone through the current bug list and updated these forums and the spreadsheet (this was uploaded the other night). There have been a recent increase in new unreported bugs added to the list. I'm getting some more time in the following weeks to chase those up and get the most impacting / annoying ones off the list (including wideband disconnect and retries)

Knock sensor investigation still needs some looking into, once the bug list is a bit smaller
prushton

Post by prushton »

matt, i have a good bunch of emulators, romulators, ostrich, multirom, so i have done a fair bit of testing

the romulators are too slow i personally think on the newer ecus, sometimes the hidden write ain't so hidden.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

So you dont see the same issues with the Moates then?

Romulator allows 100us write time (behind the scenes) and if that doesnt work then it just writes anyway

I think flooding the romulator with 'hidden write' updates (say 256 in a small space of time)
prushton

Post by prushton »

the moates doesn't skip a beat when uploading a full fuel table.
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

Excuse me if this is an obvious question, but presumably then for 16bit emulation you would require two Ostrich emulators, plugged into each socket of a rom daughter board? And Nistune supports this?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Next version it will.... i only got it running this week whilst I have a spare romulator and moates emulator on loan. Only available in the tuner version

Works quite well except for those problems noted above. I can insert some small gaps between each right to give the romulator some breathing space...
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

The tuner version is the one I have... If this is going to work as said, I.e. using the ostrich emulators, 1 for 8 bit, 2 for 16 bit? Then I shall buy them immediately..

Ed
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Well I've tested....

One romulator (8 bit)
Two romualtors (16 bit) ODD/EVEN and SPLIT
One Moates ostrich (8 bit)

Also did a test with One Moates / One Romulator (16 bit) in SPLIT on K11 and that worked too. But did have problems on S15 with this combination on ODD/EVEN (grounding issue perhaps)

If you get two Moates you should be able to do 16 bit on most daughterboards with the next version

Also I noticed that when I had the consult and two emulators plugged into the laptop, and then tried wideband too (all using USB-Serial converters) that consult would disconnect. I had to ground the wideband to the USB connector shield on the consult ... and then it got working again

This is because you get a 'floating' ground usually when using a laptop. So you have to connect all grounds (emulator, consult and wideband) to a common ground
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

Sounds good, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm loving nistune more and more!