s14 ka-t base tune help please?

Discussions concerning the M7790 cpu

Moderator: Matt

kgriffin

s14 ka-t base tune help please?

Post by kgriffin »

Ok guys, I finally have my build all together and I am trying to get it tuned. My friend who is very experienced with megasquirt is helping me as I dont have any tuning experience.
Setup:
Bored .20
wiseco 9:1
Eagle rods
810cc deachworks injectors
z32 maf
AEM uego wideband

Ok, so I am able to get my car started but it will not stay running unless i keep my foot on the gas, It is running very rich
I have a K constant around 199 and a Latency of around 600 (I have been trying to adjust these while the car is running but it doesnt seem to make a difference)

Can someone give me a little advice? It seems like no matter how much I adjust those it stays running very rich and wont idle on its own. Any help is much appreciated
kgriffin

Re: s14 ka-t base tune help please?

Post by kgriffin »

While reading the documentation I have found that adjusting the TTPmin will help with adjusting for rich idle "so if idle is too rich (and cannot be adjusted) then reducing TTPmin may help"

But I dont have a TTPmin option, only TTPmax.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

S14 KA24DE does not have a Total TP minimum. TP can drop to 0 essentially in this ECU

I've emailed you an adjustment to your base tune, but appears K needs to be reduced further
kgriffin

Post by kgriffin »

Not sure if I should make a new thread but with Matt and 8-bits help my car now idles! really rich but it idles. My Vac sits around -10 (I know it should be around -20). What I think really got it running was me messing with the distributor, after changing it back a tooth it seems much better. Now I have talked with 8-bit about this a little but I am still unclear on the process. My next step is to match my actual timing with what nistune thinks it is. What is the best way to go about this?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Use Operations > Consult active tests and change timing to base (set to 15) then start the test

It should hold timing to 15 in the ECU and then check with a timing light on the vehicle and make sure that is set correctly

If too rich at idle then you can try decreasing latency if fuel map is at lowest values (or try dropping VE map values lower) since there are no other tables which are RPM based used AFAIK
kgriffin

Post by kgriffin »

OK awesome, Ya i was reading through the pdf yesterday and found that in the text, I didnt quite understand how that matched it up but I also didnt realize it would hold the ecu at 15 until you were done. Thanks a bunch Matt!! The timing light i borrowed yesterday was broken or something, Ill give it another go tomorrow with a different light.
kgriffin

Post by kgriffin »

Alright! good news! timing is right now. Thanks Matt! Now I am rich, sitting at 10 afr. I tried decreasing the injection latency but it made no difference. Im idling really low, around 450-500. Any ideas? I'm going to try and adjust my iacv see where that gets me.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Latency should adjust your injection time... Are you seeing that increase?

What are your idle AFRs at the moment?
kgriffin

Post by kgriffin »

Matt wrote:Latency should adjust your injection time... Are you seeing that increase?

What are your idle AFRs at the moment?

At idle my AFRs are at 10 and hold there. I tried decreasing the latency per your advice above... but it made no difference, still 10 AFR. I will try adjusting the VE tables today. I really appreciate all your help Matt, seriously thank you.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

"injection time" shows up on a gauge. What is this showing when you make adjustments?
kgriffin

Post by kgriffin »

Ok been a long time on this, I am still working on it though =/. I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the maf should be reading at with just the ignition on? Right now it shows 3.130 in nistune with the car not running.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Eeek MAF is dead. Should be about 1 - 1.5v idling
kgriffin

Post by kgriffin »

I will check it idling, thats what I was getting with the ignition on but the car off. I kinda hope the maf is toast, that would explain some of my issues
VFRegal

Post by VFRegal »

Pretty sure your maf or wiring is stuffed.
If the engine is off there is no air flow so voltage should be minimal.
Google says around 0.2V
kgriffin

Post by kgriffin »

VFRegal wrote:Pretty sure your maf or wiring is stuffed.
If the engine is off there is no air flow so voltage should be minimal.
Google says around 0.2V
I appreciate the .2v, i have searched trying to find what the maf should be at but couldnt find anything. Just to be clear, that 3.130 was a reading I pulled from the nistune gauge panel. I am going to go try to snag a new maf this weekend as this one was used when I bought it. Im 99% sure the wiring is right, pretty hard to screw up. Thanks for the responses guys