new ECU Talk Cable. Calumsult/Scantech/Nistune

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

rsxse240

new ECU Talk Cable. Calumsult/Scantech/Nistune

Post by rsxse240 »

So I finally bought a new ECU Talk USB cable. I've been borrowing, from time to time, from friends and never really getting to play around with nistune. I discover that the new cable has what I believed to be a driver install disk, so I popped in the disk and opened it to explore and see what all was on it before I just installed it. So I find a LOT more than just drivers for the cable. It has Calumsult, Scantech and loads of instructional files and JPEG images and all this cool and fancy stuff. I'm, at this point, quite impressed and beginning to feel much better about my purchase, which was a bit of a steep price, but necessary for good quality parts from a trusted supplier who stands behind their product.

Sorry I didn't buy a "NISTUNE" cable, this was quite a bit less expensive, and I didn't have to buy another printer cable to make it reach my computer. ....but I digress...

On to the point of this post...

Upon discovery of Calumsult and Scantech, I find myself in a dilemma. DO I INSTALL SCANTECH AND CALUMSULT ALONG WITH NISTUNE or just leave Nistune as my tuning/diag program? From what I can tell, they're the same thing as Nistune, but without the tuning capabilities, much like my Snap-On MOTIS or GM Tech-2 scanners. I guess I can use them at work on nissans that come in to the shop for diag and what not.

Ultimately, what would be the benefit/drawback to having multiple scanning/tuning software on one computer? Also, would Nistune work with non-nistune ecus as a diag program like scantech?

Sorry for the long winded post, I was bored and a little bit excited about finally having everything to begin tuning my own car! lol :lol:
Matt
Site Admin

Re: new ECU Talk Cable. Calumsult/Scantech/Nistune

Post by Matt »

It has Calumsult, Scantech and loads of instructional files and JPEG images and all this cool and fancy stuff.
Many of these programs are on the net and are freely available. Calumsult requires LabView runtimes to operate. These are not really part of your purchase since they are available elsewhere but agreed that it is handy to have those applications on the one disk

ECU talk cables whilst less expensive will not have the same noise filtering capabilities as the PLMS ones. I dont think they the LED indicators either which is useful for diagnosing consult connection issues with the vehicle. The PLMS cable will come with a standard USB cable also. They can be swapped over if the original cable ever gets damaged too

Now you can install those programs along side. They will do the same things as Nistune so you wont really be gaining much really but it doesnt hurt to install and try them out

Nistune works with normal Nissan ECUs as well as ones with our boards fitted. It has the same features as those other programs (register display and gauges, DTC codes and clear, active test, RAM trace, download)
rsxse240

Post by rsxse240 »

Thanks Matt, for the speedy reply. One more reason I like nistune. You guys are on top of things.

That's kind of what I was thinking.

I haven't had any problems staying connected yet or any other electronic interference related issues. I'm pretty well grounded and have noise filters added where needed (precautionary measures while I was building my car).

I guess I'll just toss the disk in the ol' kitchen junk drawer then. lol
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Noise depends on the vehicle. For example my R34 keeps getting errors with a blazt cable I purchased a while ago but holds the connection no problems with the PLMS cables. I know those blazt cables use the basic circuitry so there is no filtering for the noise my R34 produces