Issues that im having with nistune

Discuss software bugs and related problems here.

Moderator: Matt

I A Motorsport

Issues that im having with nistune

Post by I A Motorsport »

ok well it seems im having a few issues, todo with all different things

so ill post them here and if anyone can help out/or offer advice that would be great
i have put posts in the board 3/4 section but ill put them all here

all issues are with sw version 0.10.12 and the latest roms

i will try and add logs as i can get them..

ive noticed a few times that the ecu is high lighting that its using cold correction maps but nistune is reading 80-85deg c on the ecu ?

i seem to do some power runs, cancel connnection between the ecu and nistune and at some point it will start reading warm correction maps ? while reading the same engine temps

I can hold the dyno at 22mph at light throttle( low tps) increase the tps to max and the accelertion fuel is added taking afr to 12 (ok becuase at this point its making 0.5bar boost at 2800, bare in mind im on a dyno) then for some unknown reason it will back off the fueling (after accel enrichment has finished im guessing ) and be at 14afr (not good) then she will richen up to what it actually should be in that cell -12 afr

now after doing some reading it seems that the nissan ecu likes to referance previous cell for around 3 secsonds(assuming to make maps smooth)
so if i richen up the earlier part it should referance back and see rich afr and all should be fine ie accel fuel goes up in the 11afr range and then back down to 12afr and then use the current cell thats also 12 afr..

sorry really hard to explain ..

i thought i sussed this but its doing it again (log below with bin) the early parts is richer and its still doing it ...
chris test 750 32 cale change.bin
(64 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
NIStune_2011-11-18_1440_50.csv
(23.73 KiB) Downloaded 164 times

Ok my third problem is a constantly changing base ignition, i have played and played with iacv and idle speed rpm and also idle stabliation and nothing really seems to be sorting the problem it works for about 5 secsonds and then just starts jumping about again..

logs and image fille next post
Attachments
NIStune_2011-11-11_2040_53.csv
(140.36 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Last edited by I A Motorsport on Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I A Motorsport

Re: Issues that im having with nistune

Post by I A Motorsport »

linked to number 3
chris test 750 32.bin
(64 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
NIStune_2011-11-11_2040_53.csv
(140.36 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
PL

Post by PL »

Regarding your idle timing - is your "TPS Closed" flag coming on? I can't see it in the log, but I'm not sure if that's because it just wasn't selected when you initially connected via Consult.

Once TPS Closed is on it should try to maintain idle. It'll do this by adjusting the AAC valve (IACV is only for when aircon is on) and by trimming timing values. OEM target idle is usually 825 rpm. Once it goes more than about 25 rpm above this it'll start to pull timing, vice-verca if idle soeed goes low.

Pete L
I A Motorsport

Post by I A Motorsport »

hi there

yes tps is on and fine ive check both the voltage manually and with nistune no problems there , flags up as it should

and sorry i did mean AAC

the idle is changing allot and it seems as the ecu is trying to correct it,
but this isnt exactly a big cam beast and no matter what changes i make idle dosesnt seem to be very stable .. it jumps about the same if its 750 or 1000rpm or anywhere in between..

i have set the aac acording to nissan
checked and cleaned it
and check voltages and resistances

regards ian
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

ive noticed a few times that the ecu is high lighting that its using cold correction maps but nistune is reading 80-85deg c on the ecu ?
Got this on the list. Nistune (PC software) uses the crank input and temperature as well as TPS inputs to determine which maps to highlight. If the crank signal occurs when consult not connected then it may not get the right map. I will in these cases just have to highlight both where we dont know what the cranking temp was.

Adjust both maps in the interim to be the same

now after doing some reading it seems that the nissan ecu likes to referance previous cell for around 3 secsonds(assuming to make maps smooth)
Doesn't do it on the S14 stock maps but once you make changes around this area yes we notice this and only if you hold the same point for this time. Been able to repeat on the bench. Just smoothing further on transition is the only way I know of flattening it. Need to find the timer in the code and kill it on these engines :/

NIStune_2011-11-21_0941_07.csv at 0:11:047 from 7.51ms to 9.02ms after 3 seconds

@ Pete 2040_53 log has TPS idle showing working
With this the temperature is right on 78,79,80 degrees. On the idle target table
@70deg 800rpm
@80deg 700rpm

So I think it might be changing target between 800-700 rpm and adjusting timing as required

End of the log normally 800rpm but sometimes lower like 775rpm where it goes below the timing seems to increase then. Try decreasing rpm on 70 degC cell to lower also?
I A Motorsport

Post by I A Motorsport »

Thankyou for your reply

I'm going to have to ignor this fueling issues as my whole map will end up extreamly rich trying to sort it. In my case smoothing doesn't really seem to play a part. I've tried placing the same rich fueling across the entire map and still seen the drop to 14 afr and then return to 12 after the dreaded 3 sec rule . I hope you find the code for this :-)

Just as a note doesn't seem to have this problem on another sr running 555 injectors z32. Using at 75fxx ecu

Idle wise just seems to do it no matter what. Seems to e this car only. Maybe I'll swap the idle controll.

I also seem to have a stalling issue from reving in neutral. Doesn't really matter what I do.
PL

Post by PL »

I've often found that coming back to idle after revving is due to incorrect setup of AAC valve and base IGN timing. As well as overall tune of course.

The technique I use is to firstly set base IGN timing correctly - usually 15 degrees.

Then make sure throttle body is correctly adjusted - should JUST be closed.

Then adjust screw on AAC valve until AAC value reported is around 50% when engine is at target idle speed.

That'll usually sort things out. Naturally you'll need a functioning recirculating blow-off valve or all bets are off.

PL
I A Motorsport

Post by I A Motorsport »

hi

thanks PL

unfortunatly drifters dont like bovs

i dont see a percentage for the aac do you guys use a multi meter ? the aac in the consult display is grey and doesnt read..

am i overlooking something ?
PL

Post by PL »

Aaaah - drifters. The most discerning Nissan owner... No BOV = stalling problems. Drifters probably wouldn't notice anyway - they'd just think they've "popped another engine"!

Make sure you have AAC selected in the list of parameters when you connect.

PL
I A Motorsport

Post by I A Motorsport »

ill be honest and say i havnt even seen it in the list, and i looked :-/ must have rocked right past that

i didnt say but its stalling when i rev it in neutral, so shouldn't be the bov as no back surge to worry about , unless there is another reason ..

if i hold revs a say 3k and then let idle no real problems is when i blip the throttle to say 3k a few times..

i cant really tell as the afr changes so quicky and is delayed being at the back of the exhuast but it may be overfueling causing it to die out on idle .im only seeing 12afr (acel inrichment). not overly sure.. my multimeter seems to have broken today so i cant even find out the AAC duty manually.. (ill look for that tick box)

I would also like to mention that there is no neutral switch wiring, so the ecu thinks im in gear.. if that makes any differane.. cant find maps replating to gears so im guessing you guys havnt found them yet or they dont exist
Aaaah - drifters. The most discerning Nissan owner... No BOV = stalling problems. Drifters probably wouldn't notice anyway - they'd just think they've "popped another engine"!
they usually kick the clutch :)
PL

Post by PL »

Yeah, BOV makes the most difference under load. But they also help even with free revving - turbo still spins up a bit even if it doesn't make any appreciable boost. That's why the cars with factory BOV run so nicely - they're setup to open quite early.

I don't think the neutral switch is an issue on those.

PL
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Only TPS switch usually makes any difference in maps (between idle/normal maps) but neutral on SR20 doesnt seem to matter
I A Motorsport

Post by I A Motorsport »

Sounds good thanks.

Well I'll do some tests today and log the maff signal
If I do need a bov on it ,it should show up on the maff signal.
Also gonna borrow a multimeter and see if I can find that AAC menu box.

Thanks
I A Motorsport

Post by I A Motorsport »

right well grabed a multi meter and checked aac sits at 25% and acording to nissan thats correct..also found that sneaky tick box :roll: and displays the same 25%

still having the issues..

doesnt seem to be that afm/maf sensor single stay stable..

log below. it seems to raise the tp allot

as it drop ignition doesnt go up realy so im going to add some some more ign to idle stablisation at lower rpm see if i cant bounce it back up..

timing adv decel.. these are all set to 0 is, once you open it it says after start, is there a time limit or is it just based on overal timing on dec at a given temp..
NIStune_2011-11-24_1126_55.csv
(449.53 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
chris test 750 32 cale change.bin
(64 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
using 69fxx base image
PL

Post by PL »

I'd say adjust your AAC valve screw so that AAC sits around 50 - not 25. That may help.

TP will always go up as RPM decreases - if AFM voltage is staying about the same. This tends to happen as engine approaches stalling speed.

This could be any number of things - sticky AAC valve, mixtures not quite right, BOV problems. Any number of things can cause havoc with idle. Sticky AAC valves are becoming more common with these engines due to their age...

Remove connector to AAC valve with engine idling and see if idle drops. If idle doesn't change then AAC valve is completely seized.

PL