Board part issues

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

Matt
Site Admin

Board part issues

Post by Matt »

I've had a shocking month with part vendors....

FTDI which make the Type1 board USB chips released a new part last year which incorporates a lot of components. We are using that part (FT-245RL) for the Type 4 board.

However that part is proving to have problems during reset (ie when USB is plugged in and when intitially powered up). It pulls on the ECU data lines and causes engine stalling etc. FTDI have admitted one of the lines has a problem and is apparently looking into the other lines. However they have not reponded to follow up emails since.

So we have made a Type3A replacement board which uses the older FTDI245BL part and ordered the extra supporting components required for it

The other problem is Simtek which do NVRAM have increase their minimum order quantities from 50 pieces to 460 pieces. This equates to a $7500AUD minimum order! We are looking at sourcing from grey market distributors for the current stock of boards now, and a new part manufacturer for similar item will need to be prototyped and tested on current boards...

This is going to push our boards out at least another month, but we will get the first batch of Z31 boards out for waiting people now
Russ84NA

Post by Russ84NA »

I know that $7500.00 is a lot of money, but it seems that with the market just in Z31's that want the product that you could have them prepay, order the chips and have the bill paid with the first 25 to 30 units shipped.
If you tell the people what the problem is and how long it will be once they send there money before they get the product, I'll bet they will be more than willing to help you out.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

we are considering it, but found cypress NVRAM chips availbable are about $2.50 cheaper a chip, have a smaller MOQ and work identically to the simtek.

however they have 4 more pins so there will be another board change. we will order some simteks to sell off the remaining boards and then move to the cypress chips at this stage