NIStune 0.10.12 bug

Discuss software bugs and related problems here.

Moderator: Matt

HermaN

NIStune 0.10.12 bug

Post by HermaN »

Just downloaded and installed the latest version of NIStune (0.10.12) with the latest ROM Pack (2.3.1) and every time I open any ROM (my own tunes, or the ones in the ROM pack) I get the error.....

"Check C:\Program Files\NIStune\VQ Maps\N13_CA18DE_VQ_Map.bin exists or is not already open,"

If I just click "OK" it continues to load as normal, possibly a missing file in the VQ Maps folder it's looking for when loading a ROM? None of my tunes are from the N13 CA18DE, but I'm guessing it references through all files in that folder when loading a ROM??

Possible fix for this Matt?

Cheers!
bachig24u

Re: NIStune 0.10.12 bug

Post by bachig24u »

try unticking the box that saves the previous path to your files. or redirecting it a folder where the roms are stored. often selecting the next folder up in the directory tree will sort it out.
use the browse button from the configuration settings for rom pack location in Nistune.

this happens when the previous Nis version is locked on the last file path that may differ after upgrading the rom pack.
HermaN

Post by HermaN »

Unticking the box only stops it happening on startup, but if I manually open a ROM file I still get the error. From the error above it is not do to with looking for a ROM that does not exist, it is looking for a VQ Map file in the installation folder that it can not find for some reason.

It's a clean install of NIStune, all old version removed (inc all folders, etc) as well.
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

HermaN wrote:Unticking the box only stops it happening on startup, but if I manually open a ROM file I still get the error. From the error above it is not do to with looking for a ROM that does not exist, it is looking for a VQ Map file in the installation folder that it can not find for some reason.

It's a clean install of NIStune, all old version removed (inc all folders, etc) as well.

sorry, my bad.... I thought I'd installed .10.12 on my test rig. that fault is one for Matt.
Torque

Post by Torque »

Hi!

The problem has a simple solution.

1. Go to the VQ Maps folder.
2. Look for a file N13_CA18DE_VQ_Map
3. Rename this file to N13_CA18DE_VQ_Map.bin

I'm writing this from memory, as far as I remember the VQ-Map-File had no or the wrong extension.

The installation routine is not bug-free (and does all kind of strange things anyhow ;)
HermaN

Post by HermaN »

Torque wrote:Hi!

The problem has a simple solution.

1. Go to the VQ Maps folder.
2. Look for a file N13_CA18DE_VQ_Map
3. Rename this file to N13_CA18DE_VQ_Map.bin

I'm writing this from memory, as far as I remember the VQ-Map-File had no or the wrong extension.
That solved it! You were right, the file had no extention after it. Works a treat now with no errors.
Torque

Post by Torque »

Great ... happy to be of help ..

It must be something with the installer, the issue does only come up now and then.

Cheers ..
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

Good stuff Torque,
I was reluctant to use this version after Herman reported a bug in the first few days.
After upgrading from 0.9.x to the first .0.10.1 version and loosing so much track hire time until 0.10.6.. learnt a long hard lesson.
I'll be holding off upgrading my prod system for a long while.
Torque

Post by Torque »

Hi there,

I'm still on 9.x (on the laptop I use in the 'field')

But the latest 10.x version is alright I guess.

Cheers to OZ,
Andrew
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

I 'should' have stayed on 0.9.x also, more stable then the about 9 versions 0f .0.10's.
But hey, got to live life on edge ...

0.10.11 is sweet thus far, the only thing to be aware of is the 'com port scan timeout' it seems to vary between 0.10.x series.

Kind regards
Simon
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

You can put 0 in port scan to make it wait indefinately

Each port seems to have its own time it takes for drivers to respond
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

"Check C:\Program Files\NIStune\VQ Maps\N13_CA18DE_VQ_Map.bin exists or is not already open"

I changed the file name to have .bin at the end and reuploaded the install for 0.10.12. My new win7 install hides the extensions so didnt see this :?
Torque

Post by Torque »

That's what you get when you submit fully to Windows. ;)

I still shun the default 'my documents' and 'my programs' locations since it make no sense
(performance wise).

Why would you like to have the operation system, programs, program-data, and the swap-file
on the same disk/partition??? It slows things down and adds to fragmentation.

Luckily in W7 there are finally symbolic links, so you can move and code/data to a different location without re-installing.
http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshel ... llext.html

(Yes, I would like the Nistune installer to offer 'custom' locations)!
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

The installer lets you put the folders where things go for the application itself and the ROM pack so that is all good (but yes the Logs, Address files, VQ maps etc still go in the Documents folder - could make that customisable also)

I've updated the 0.10.12 installer to fix the name of that BIN file
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

Torque wrote:That's what you get when you submit fully to Windows. ;)

I still shun the default 'my documents' and 'my programs' locations since it make no sense
(performance wise).

Why would you like to have the operation system, programs, program-data, and the swap-file
on the same disk/partition??? It slows things down and adds to fragmentation.

Luckily in W7 there are finally symbolic links, so you can move and code/data to a different location without re-installing.
http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshel ... llext.html

(Yes, I would like the Nistune installer to offer 'custom' locations)!
Torque, Fragmentation and swap files are things of the past with SSD drives. LOL are you still using a x86 with a working serial port or something? :)