KS4 sensor location and tapping signal wire question

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

immy21

KS4 sensor location and tapping signal wire question

Post by immy21 »

Will this location be ok for the knock sensor?

Im planning on hooking up the signal wire and a neg wire from the KS4, connecting a headphone jack/wire, plug into laptop with some decent in ear headphones and tune away for the first time. Will this work?
Im worried il be listening for det that isnt being fed into the headphones but hopefully the KS4 will go ape shit if I miss bad det, although that depends on the location. I will move it to somewere near the stock sensor when the plenum comes off, but for the time being will this do?
The signal wire is suppossed to feed the phormula pro tuning kit but im kinda hoping it will work by simply being fed into the laptop, can confirm that will work?
http://www.carvtechpc.com/uploads/3/7/7 ... ns_2.0.pdf
TM_S13

Re: KS4 sensor location and tapping signal wire question

Post by TM_S13 »

I think that is a "common" place to fit the sensor on the SR20DET engine, but it's common practice to fit the sensor on the other side of the block due to the temperature, and in the block itself since it gets less "noises"... the SR20DET engine is knowned to have some head noises.

as said, I'd fit it on the other side of the block, near the OEM knock sensor.

as for the rest... if you have the kit and configure it well, it will be a very nice tool.
but for hearing, some det-cans are simply fine. using the ks-4 to monitor and stuff
immy21

Post by immy21 »

The other side looks like a plenum off job so I guess this will do for now, I dont fancy using det cans on the road and want a more permanant instal since the 'tweeking' will be never ending. Il try it out and make something up if listening to the KS4 doesnt work, thats a reassuring reply, thanks.
TM_S13

Post by TM_S13 »

the ks-4 is nice to tune on the road since if well configurated it can warn you, or if you know what values to look at you know what it should be at, without the need of the use of headphones, though the use of them is the real deal and I get your point ;)

let us know what you come up with
immy21

Post by immy21 »

Well, its been a partial success, I relocated it next to the stock sensor

Problem is I seem to be getting a lot of static noise or interferance through the signal wire, its much better plugging the KS4's sensor directly into the laptop, still a little interference but then the KS4 cant warm me incase I miss the det, still got my training wheels on so I want the KS4 beeping at me incase I miss it.
Any idea what site I can use to upload and post a sound file? Then you can hear the clip iv saved.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

static noise or interferance through the signal wire
Should be noted that this static noise and interference (electrical noise) is that which also causes consult dropouts
HermaN

Post by HermaN »

The KS-4 signal wire is shielded and you should not be picking up any electrical interference. Mine only picked up electrical interference after it got damaged. Accidentally closed the bonnet and the wire got trapped in the hinge.