PC for tuning + gauges

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

FHCRSky

PC for tuning + gauges

Post by FHCRSky »

PC for tuning + gauges

What would be the best to use for tuning, displaying gauges like MFD in a R34GTR or R35GTR and can be removed from car?

Emachines Netbook PC or Android Tablet PC with skin cover + keyboard?

Android Tablet PC -

http://www.lightinthebox.com/wholesale- ... gwodtAFhJQ

Also where would I get a suction cup mount for window mount or dash mount with Android Tablet PC???
Eric

Re: PC for tuning + gauges

Post by Eric »

I don't think there's much car related software, let alone tuning software, for Android...
so I guess that'll narrow down the choise...
FHCRSky

Post by FHCRSky »

Thank you for your answer to my questions Eric. :)

I see what you mean, wideband software, Nistune tuning software.

Maybe Emachines E350 netbook PC with Windows XP might be the best option? -

http://www.harveynorman.ie/emachine-e350.html

I think has USB 2.0 ports x3 for PLMS cable, wideband and one spare.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Would be nice to have something for android given its a more open platform but the USB port would be device rather than host so you cant plug a consult cable into your phone to begin with
FHCRSky

Post by FHCRSky »

Thank you for the answer Matt. :)

In NZ this American drifter had a 10.1"? screen Android Tablet PC with bluetooth running off a LS1 stock ECU in a Rx7. Mainly used to display gauges, etc. That's what sparked my interest in this subject. Was just wondering if it's possible with Nistune, but use PLMS cable instead of bluetooth and can actually be used for tuning, display.

Edit: After looking at Tablet PC's, I see what you mean by host USB port, etc.

Maybe Netbook might be the only way. I know from searching forum that there is a window mount available for Netbook PC from the UK. But looks like it blocks the ports on the side of Netbook -

http://www.ultimate-netbook.co.uk/Unive ... __1528.htm
RomChip200

Post by RomChip200 »

I'm looking more and more for a convenient setup using Nistune, i.e. not a legacy laptop sitting on the passenger seat ....

Are there some people using touchscreen Tablets running Windows XP (version ?) and Nistune ... ?

Matt, would it work on this one ?:
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.a ... ew=Asus+R2
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Operating System: Windows XP Tablet PC edition + Touch Pack
Nothing specific in the MSDN programming notes for this edition. Hopefully just standard windows but like Windows XP embedded (which we use at work) its just a cut down standard version with less bloat
2 regular USB 2.0 ports and one mini type USB 2.0 with a standard USB adapter included for it
This is good so you can plug in your devices
The Celeron M 900MHz processor is just a drag, a Pentium M low voltage processor would have been so much better. Frequently there is lots of lag when using even basic applications or navigating menus. You can watch the screen redraw itself at times.
This is not so good. Originally Nistune was developed in Win 98 on a P300 laptop. I havent ran that for a while and my current dev laptop is still my Trusty 1.83Ghz duo Dell laptop. Gauge updates with the consult data streaming in have been optimised in the latest version but not sure how it will run on this processor
RomChip200

Post by RomChip200 »

In the premium range, all the latest "Slate PC" (this is how it is called) running Windows 7 and touchschreen should run Nistune.
modulation

Post by modulation »

I've used a full size laptop, but now I use a simple $230 1.66ghz intel atom netbook like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

I love it! Great battery life, and it's small enough I don't mind hauling everywhere, and cheap enough that if my car gets broken into and they find it under the floor mat and it gets stolen I won't care too much about it.

Android is about as open as the Iphone when it comes to this stuff.
No android OS version supports serial ports yet unless you use a Cyanogen hacked kernel or compile your own, I spend a few months on this, and ended up just putting Debian Linux on my android tablet. I even tried to get the kernel sources that were same version as android and compile my own serial modules against that, and I'd still get invalid symbols when I tried to insert the module in the android kernel, I think because they purposely took stuff out so usb/serial modules wouldn't have the hooks they needed into the kernel.

There might be hope for future gingerbread versions (tablet specific version) but I wouldn't hold your breath.
RomChip200

Post by RomChip200 »

Well, I finally did a choice for a used Viliv S5. I wanted an ultra-portable solution running Nistune the same way than a laptop (meaning WinOS XP or Win7), but even a mini-laptop with folding display is already too big for me and not convenient to be handled in a car, in a seat ....
Ok, the touch display is tiny but for continuous logging when driving, that's ok for me.
I'm going to receive it in few days.
I will start first with USB connection (and a small USB hub as only one USB host plug available) and will finish with my BT converters Parani SD100 (BT included in Viliv S5).

I performed a test at home with my old Dell laptop 1600x1200 dispaly Pentium 3 1Ghz 256MB RAM, it starts and runs Nistune 0.10.x faster than my HP EliteBook 6930p !!

Matt, please tell me you feeling about the Viliv S5 against Nistune.
zer099

Post by zer099 »

I have a questions along the same line of thought, could you run Nistune through Ubuntu via Wine?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Someone has run via Wine before if that helps...

> I just switched my desktop machine to Ubuntu Linux. Nistune works
> quite well with the Wine windows emulator.. Even USB consult works
> fine, and NTProg can program boards!
>
> I only found one minor problem. :) When choosing address file in
> Nistune, the list is not sorted! I attached a screenshot. It's
> surprisingly difficult the find a correct car when the list has random
> order. :)
>
> While this is probably a bug in Wine, could you tell me how the list
> is created, so I could email Wine developers the exact info?
Need to fix up the file sort order but apart from that is okay
zer099

Post by zer099 »

Good to know. One more for you: can you run her through Windows CE? Say version 6.0.3122.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Definite no. Windows CE has restricted API programming. I'm sure I've gone way outside what CE allows in terms of API usage with the MFC libraries I am using in Visual C++
guricha

Post by guricha »

Just quick question, does Nistune works on MAC oS?