Something went nuts in 906a9

Nistune topics specific to the 6802 cpu

Moderator: Matt

Stinky
Site Admin

Something went nuts in 906a9

Post by Stinky »

Not sure what exactly is happening here. I got home yesterday and the car was idling lean and acting strange when I let it sit at idle(maybe a seperate issue). Nistune seemed to be working fine. I played with the tp min for a while, played with the wideband inputs, and then shut it down. Started it back up to make sure everything was fine and then shut it down again. This morning I went to start the car and I got the dreaded fuel pump pulsing. I was able to get another rom in and get to the shop without an issue. Here's the read of the nvram chip. Something isnt right.
Attachments
testreaderror071806.zip
(12.1 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

indeed something isn't right here....

the rom image is really funny. i've got a jump to BDB2 which should be BDB3

i've also got 6000 being set to 51 when it should be 79 (the write to 6000 was taken out of the latest patch code)

7210 - 7500 is corrupted and the patch code is completely gone. on the current boards the patch code is not protected from overwrite but the rest of the ecu image is

however i think the STK15C88 may be autostoring corruption. were you using the rev5 patch file here? i cant see any of my patch code here since its all gone!

what is strange is that 0000-3fff is affected. this shouldn't be touched since A14 should be tied high. can you please check pin 1 of the NVRAM is indeed buzzing out to VCC. the patch code in the first mirror image is also gone. that is not right. please reflash the chip using the 0.907a patch image file but make the lower half 0000-3fff all FF and only the rom image loaded in 4000-7fff of the nvram

i could put a STK15C88 in my ecu but we are not using these chips now due to these types of problems. the STK11C88 forunately only store when the STORE button is pressed. the 15s have a potential to autostore when we dont want it to

when you get the car not running right, please download the image immedately via nistune (if possible) so we can see where the problem is starting before it gets worse
Stinky
Site Admin

Post by Stinky »

I'll try to do some more playing around and see if I can replicate the problem.
Stinky
Site Admin

Post by Stinky »

Matt wrote: can you please check pin 1 of the NVRAM is indeed buzzing out to VCC.
Which pin is Vcc? It buzzes to pin 27 on the ecu side.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

VCC is pin 28
GND is pin 14

on the NVRAM pin 27 is /WE and pin 1 is A14

the /WE should have a pullup 10K resistor to VCC. if the line ever floats, the pullup will make it in active (pulling line low makes a write to the chip)

new boards for NVRAM will also have a pullup on /CE line (pin 20) just in case, since both /CE and /WE lines need to be low to activate a write. also having /WE low during chip poweron can cause corruption too
Stinky
Site Admin

Post by Stinky »

Ok. Pin 1 on the nvram buzzes to pin 28 of the ecu with the nistune board in place. I also measure ~10k between nvram pin 27 and 28 because of the resistor you had us put in. Should I put in a resistor to pin 20 as you mentioned?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

we will just try without the extra resistor for now, because that is what i am running. i'll put the STK15C88 in also with this change (currently running STK11C88) and take a spare ecu just in case i bugger it and it auto stores in the middle of nowhere
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

any more problems with this?