P11 Infiniti G20

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

Matt what board is it that I have to pay for, is it Type 4 for the above ECU 23710-1M871?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Definately Type 4 for that one. PL is putting the new board together for the OBD-II models at the moment. Bit of a redesign going on there (relaying out all the tracks from scratch)
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

Matt wrote:Definately Type 4 for that one. PL is putting the new board together for the OBD-II models at the moment. Bit of a redesign going on there (relaying out all the tracks from scratch)
I was just on www.Blazt.biz and I saw them offereing an OBD2 consult cable. Should I wait for the new board design, is it gonna be a while before its ready?

Also is the new Type 4 board gonna work for the 99 ECU?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Its gonig to be minimum several months before its ready. We need to upgrade our programmer hardware (prototype PCB arrived last night) to support this board, let alone get that board programmed and tested before starting small batches

The cable they are selling uses K-Line to communicate with later model ECUs using Consult 2 and OBD-II protocol

I plan on adding limited Consult 2 support (the overall protocol is quite large) for existing ECUs which support those registers but not too focused on the k-line side of things yet where the lower level protocol was changed and you need the special cable (actually any OBD-II cable will do but need something common if reusing an existing commercial cable for me to talk to)

The current ECUs I'm looking at are around 1996/1997 for the interim with regardst to the realtime tuning. its just adding the extra ROM to hold the OBD-II stuff to the existnig board. Not too sure how far this will take us with particular ECUs until we hit the FLASH only based models

For the FLASH only models there is cobbtuning.com and uprev.com supporting those ones in regards to reflashing. They seem to upload their own firmware into the FLASH and then you can modify via that
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

Ok so for my 1999 P11 G20t it has both the CONSULT port and the OBD2 port, will I be fine with the regular CONSULT cable or would I need the OBD2 cable to communicate with Nistune.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

does it have the pads to provision for a daughterboard and M7790 processor?
UNISA JECS

Re:

Post by UNISA JECS »

Matt wrote:does it have the pads to provision for a daughterboard and M7790 processor?
1999 Infiniti G20t P11
Hi Matt not sure what that is but I provided pics of a P11 99 ECU on the previos page but here it is here

Im ready to buy another setup from you but I really want and hoping you can do my 99 ECU, please let me know so I can purchase while I have the money to do so.

If you need better pictures I can take better ones.

Thanks
Charlie
Matt
Site Admin

Re: P11 Infiniti G20

Post by Matt »

Thanks for the photo. Okay we can do the earlier P11 ECUs but not this later one (however it is possible)

That ECU looks identical to the B14 1996 SR20DE ECU I have here. It is an OBD-II version. Calum has got this one also but has not had any luck getting it working either

From what I have figured so far it has the same processor chip and jumpers as the ER34 ECU. It has memory addresses from 0x1000 - 0xFFFF like the ER34 ECU

However it does not use the same adaptor board (Adaptor C) as the ER34 ECU, rather the Adaptor B board like with other earlier B14 ECUs

However given this, the Nistune board should be jumpered for ER34, but running using the Adaptor B

Unfortunately still given this the ECU goes limp mode and does not run from the board. So it needs something else to run in addition (also tried the GRID boards with B14 ROM loaded onto EPROMs)

That has me thinking that there is extra OBD-II code like with the S14 KA24DE 72Fxx later OBD-II series ECUs in another memory location. Our prototype board for the S14 ECU which works (but has EMI issues and drops due to electrical noise) put the OBD-II ROM at 0x20000 on the board. The JWT boards run like this so I was able to follow this and make it run like that on ours

So I think similar could be done for B14 and these later model P11 ECUs. But thats as far as I have gotten for now. I would need to check the code disassembly to see if any other external memory is accessed and where it is located

The biggest stumbing block we have is getting the OBD-II ROM out of the ECU. JWT managed to do this somehow and then upload it to the ROM chips on their boards. So I have the S14 KA24DE OBD-II ROM which is good thanks to reading it out of the JWT board using the newer USB base image programmer

However I dont have it for B14/P11 ECUs and I dont know how to read it. JWT knows but they wouldnt tell! Consult will only read between 0x0000-0xFFFF. I need to read beyond this but consult doesnt support that

Next thing I can look into was the OBD-II memory read commands and see if that supports reading the OBD-II ROM via K-Line. I started with K-Line and was able to do basic OBD-II commands with the S14 KA24DE ECU but thats about it for now. I am lacking the knowledge behind the Nissan specific protocol commands at this time to read that out, but should be able to figure it out with more time/energy
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

Ok Matt so what do you suggest I do I really need an ECU to turbo my P11, which ECU can you do for me, I have a 1997 B14 ECU which I think if I look back to and early post in this thread you said will work but please confirm thanks. I'd really like my 99 ECU to work but if you dont see that being a possibly anytime soon let me know and i'll get whatever ECU I have to get to get this project underway, thanks. Hopefully the 97 B14 ECU will do.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

in the meantime 1995 B14 SR20DE ECU is your only option
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

Matt wrote:in the meantime 1995 B14 SR20DE ECU is your only option
What about P10 ECU's what year if thats possible? Because those are alot easier to come by. Please advise, thanks.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

P10 SR20DE is fine upto early 1996 model. Just run the part# past me
UNISA JECS

Re:

Post by UNISA JECS »

UNISA JECS wrote: Hey Matt about to make my P11 G20t 5 speed and im looking to buy this ECU:

JA18-H69 BP2
97 200SX N M F
OBD2
B14-SR20DE
23710-1M871

Can you work with this ECU before I purchase it?
UNISA JECS wrote:
Matt wrote:1M871 is fine, we can do that and put a manual ROM image into the board.
Ok cool, but FYI the 1M871 is already manual trans ECU.
So Matt is this ECU really fine becasue I have it already I bought along time ago.
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

Picture of a 99 P11 Infiniti G20 ECU which cant be done correct?
Picture of a 97 B14 200SX SE-R ECU which looks to be identical to the 94/95 P10 ECU and I could only find one extra resitor thingy the P10 ECU had over the B14 ECU and the red L.E.D. light.
Picture of a 94/95 P10 Infiniti G20 ECU which can be done.

These are all USDM ECU's by the way.

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

hmmm that B14 looks like the ones we can do....

I've got a B14 ECU here which looks like your P11. That was about 1996 I believe