Wish list item - Fancy maptrace highlights

Discuss possible software enhancements/changes here.

Moderator: Matt

Stinky
Site Admin

Wish list item - Fancy maptrace highlights

Post by Stinky »

This is definitely not important but would be cool if it can be done. Because the ecu uses 4 cells when accessing the maps and 2 cells when accessing tables, it would be nice to have a visual indication of where the ecu is between the tables. I can see a few ways to do this.

1 - Highlight the 4/2 cells that are being accessed with a color, green is fine, and have a gradient fill so fill color gets darker or lighter depending on how close it is to the exact "position" the ecu is in.

2- Use a small dot that travels through the map showing the exact position of the ecu between cells. The closer it is to equally using the cells the closer it is to the border area between them

3- Combine type 1 & 2. Simply highlight the 4/2 cells and then use the dot to show where the ecu is located exactly.

This function would be handy for tuners I would think. If I were on the dyno it would be nice to know how close I am to the particular cell I'm tuning. The closer I can get to the center of a cell the less the other cells will affect the results.
Bernardd

Post by Bernardd »

To add to Stinky's request, would it be possible to "chase the ball" like on a ms ecu where you hit the + or - key to add or subract fuel or timing while tuning. Only the cell being accessed by the ecu would be edited in this mode.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

starting with bernards request first ....

"chase the ball" is easy to implement, just have another tick box and the main cursor follows the maptrace cursor.

1. i have code for the 4/2 cell thing in there already but it does not work. what happens is that the software grabs the colour of four cells, records it, displays darker green on 3 and light green on main 1. then what happens is for next update, the old cells should be restored, new cells stored, updated and so on

what i see is a big mess of green blocks left behind becuase it isn't cleaning up properly. i can have another look at this since i do think it would be useful. i just dont know why it isn't cleaning up properly at this stage

2. at this stage i am just grabbing indexes out. yes i do work out the cloest to a particular index using a delta value. i could use the deltas to work out an exact positioning. the whole problem is that the graphics are on a 16x16 display grid. the cursor positioning only can fall on the grid. i cant do an exact display easily yet.

yes it would be dead accurate. i need to look at the class which does the cursor updates and see how i can calculate things between the 16x16 grid constraints for this one. it may be a little while before that happens
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

useabilitywise....

the chase the ball would be very hard to tune whilst on dyno because you may wish to get a certain map point with load/rev combination and then try and change it on the fly

4/2 cell can probably do but i dont know if increasing your resolution of maptracing on the graphics is going to get you much to justify the effort
Stinky
Site Admin

Post by Stinky »

Even if you didnt highlight the cells themselves a bright enough dot would probably do the trick. Maybe highlight the most used cell as you have it doing now. The more precisely you can show whats going on the more precisely the tuner can tune the ecu.

As far as chase the dot...It's hard to say at this point just how easy/hard it would be to keep the car at a specific load/rpm. However, now that we have maptracing its easy to dial in an rpm on the dyno and then adjust the throttle to reach the specific load/rpm cell you want to tune. If its not too hard to keep the ecu in that cell the chase the dot feature would eliminate a few key/mouse strokes for each cell you wish to tune. It would make tuning a very efficient and quick process if you have a good dyno. Of course you can always turn the chase feature off and edit like normal if you cant or dont want to do a steady state pull.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

chase the dot implemented latest version. 4/2 cells require some more work
Twin-turboZ

Post by Twin-turboZ »

I was running the trace function last night and it was working great except the colour of the trace (purple ish) is hard to see over the red background of particularly the ignition map but also the fuel map.
What about changing the trace colour to white since the entire map is a relatively dark colour that might stand out a bit better.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

with white you wont be able to see the value underneath i think. i'll keep playing around with the colour!
Twin-turboZ

Post by Twin-turboZ »

Forgot that the numbers are white,, what about black then as a contrasting colour.

I was comparing with Eric's (DTA) "rom data" map trace software and it switches the cells white for the trace but the background numbering is black.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

i've done them grey now for the cells. colour independent