Probably a stupid noob question.

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

jonathanrmerritt

Probably a stupid noob question.

Post by jonathanrmerritt »

I have all of these new goodies on my 84 AE Z. NIStune, bov. intercooler. walbro pump. LC1 Wideband. I don't know where to start.

I have everything running like it needs to be with nistune. But I can't just get in there and do it.

What is the target with tuning? Am I tuning it so I see Stoich all across the rpm range?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Hi Johnathan

Have you read the 'ECU tuning basics' document?

http://www.nistune.com/documentation.html
jonathanrmerritt

I have that saved to the desktop. Read it a couple times last night... (tired) read it again and now I see. Guess I missed the meaningful parts.

A little overwhelming with all the data right now. :oops:
chris2712au

Post by chris2712au »

you can get a reasnable tune with doing it on the street... I did mostly looking at the afr's on fourth gear runs... however top end it is dangerous... even if you are in the passenger seat and you have an experienced driver driving... you willbe doing in excess of 100 kmph (60mph)... turbo cars dont like stoich mixtures... 14.7... especially when it is on boost...

If you really want a good tune then I definitely suggest getting on a dyno... to get it over and done with.... but then again it depends on two things... What you are trying to acheive... and how far away the standard maps are from getting you there....
jonathanrmerritt

I have a long way until I can justify doing it on a dyno. The real means right now for me having NIStune is to keep it running good and keep up with my mods so when I get it to a good build an I am satisfied with it I can put it on the dyno and have it be close for a good tune. That way when it comes time I am not too far off. Save money on dyno time FTW!
modulation

Post by modulation »

Since we are sort of on the topic anyways does anyone use a G-Tech like device to tune?

I know I'll have to get dyno time to get every last HP out of my car, but I want to have as much ready as possible before they dyno time as dyno time is $$.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I've tried to use a gtech but around my area finding a straight unused piece of road is difficult.

Also whilst testing, depending what speed you can get upto with it, can be potentially dangerous given how fast you can go when you do say a 1/4 mile reading

The main thing was I could not get the results to be consistent but that was during a single night attempt on a relatively bumpy road
jontgt

Post by jontgt »

I just skimmed through it since I have never seen that before and it says AFR's from 11.5 - 12.3 : 1) are desirable.