Supercharged vh45de missing timing

Nistune topics related specifically to the 6303 cpu

Moderator: Matt

gsracer

Supercharged vh45de missing timing

Post by gsracer »

Hey Matt

So my car is a s14 with a supercharged vh45de, ive been running your software for a few years now on a moates ostritch. Long story short I spun a rod bearing a few years ago and the car sat, I replaced the motor this past week and went out and did some pulls.

Nothing at all has changed same tune, pretty much same everything except for the long block, all of a sudden im seeing the ECU pull timing about 5 degrees all the way till 5000 rpm then it stops and goes back to where it should be. All other values are pretty much correct, even tp and where its pulling from in the map are in the same locations.

I am getting a knock sensor code which would normally make sense except ive had both knock maps and primary maps the same for years. I know the development on this ecu isn't full like sr20s or rbs so im wondering if im missing something.

The only other thing I can think of or mess with is the knock retard limit and setting that all to zero, however with the knock and the primary maps being the same I would think that it shouldn't be pulling the timing. It seems like it ill would make sense, especially that up until 4900 rpm im still in the limit of the max knock threshold of 4400 rpms.

What are your thoughts.

Attached are logs with the old motor and new one and the tune as well.
Attachments
currently in car 11 7 18.bin
(32 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
timing present.csv
(29.71 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
missingtiming.csv
(34.48 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Supercharged vh45de missing timing

Post by Matt »

Fix the knock sensor code! That will cause the ECU to reference the knock map, and it will also pull additional timing out of the knock map

We can see from the second 'missing timing' log that about 5 deg BDTC is pulled out when the run passes through the knock flag highlighted section of the timing map. This is normal with a knock fault

I'm not sure why your previous 'present' run is actually showing more timing than commanded in the timing map (a couple of degrees higher than top end)

Once you rectify the fault codes, it should go back to following without pulling the limp timing delta (5 deg) out
gsracer

Post by gsracer »

Yea I had added 2 0r 3 degrees on that run up top to test that’s why the additional timing towards red line. I guess I’ll order some knock sensors plus they are a pin to get to in this engine lol. In the mean time if I set the knock thresholds to 0 will that stop it?
gsracer

Post by gsracer »

I meant the limits or any of these screens see below

And thank you for your amazing support as always.
Attachments
knock.JPG
(116.25 KiB) Downloaded 1573 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Normal knock sensing will retard timing upto the values in those tables. You could attempt to lower or zero those, but usually the ECU has another separate limp value parameter (not located) which it will use instead
gsracer

Post by gsracer »

I tried messing with each one individual, such as lowering the RPM etc, didn't do anything finally I zeroed out every single one and voila my timing is back. DTC code still present.

Log if your curios, I leaned out the map a bit too.
Attachments
no knock leaner_3.csv
(32.68 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

That is interesting. I've not looked into the limp knock routine on this, but it must use at least one of the values. As my comment before, it would be best to rectify the knock code (or stub out with resistors if you plan to remove it. 470K ohm)