ECU failsafe???

Nistune topics related specifically to the 6303 cpu

Moderator: Matt

MartinC

ECU failsafe???

Post by MartinC »

My Nistune boarded ecu goes into failsafe after about 20 mins of use, the emission light flashes and the engine runs badly. If I switch the car off and restart after a few mins its fine again for a while. When it does this I lose consult as well.

On another note I tried copying the maps from nistune into a normal ecu chip but it just runs very rich??? all maps and scales were copied, or am I missing something here???

Anyone shed any light on this, its a rb20det ecu.

Thanks.
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

Ahh you didn't have any further luck then :(

How quickly does it re-appear after a restart of the ignition?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Sounds like a potential connectivity issue. Once the ECU fails, it will stay in limp mode until you restart the ECU

Double check all solder joints on the EPROM socket, reflow if necessary. If you are still having problems, refit the original EPROM chip and try out for a few days and see if that works

Also try wiggling the pins on the 4 pin connector whilst engine is running to see if that triggers the problem

In regards to the ROM image you are burning, you need to load the base ROM image you start with into NIStune and then 'sync' the maps to the PC then save the file

You can compare the original ROM image and your modified one also to check all the changes

Do you think you are running limp mode with the new EPROM chip installed? Failure to connect to consult will indicate if so (also RED light on ECU stays on or flashes ON/OFF continously when ECU is in limp mode)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Also push on the EPROM whilst socketed in both directions to test solder connections. If the ECU goes limp whilst you are doing this, then connection problem

I've done this here to test soldering problems before whilst in the bench, the leds then either stay still or flash on/off continously after doing that to indicate limp mode
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

Thanks guys, the ecu and the car are out of my hands at the moment, we think we sussed the burning eeprom problem as we were using a different assembly code in the ecu.

As for the nistune ecu we will have to wait and see, I have not heard any bad news yet!!