5v senders

Anything related to the DLP Devices IO-8 A/D converter

Moderator: Matt

88execvl

5v senders

Post by 88execvl »

I came across some linear senders for fuel oil etc. here is a sample link.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 1260635816

they are about $38~ landed. Mine is going on the fuel rail but I am sure you could be creative
PL

Re: 5v senders

Post by PL »

Thanks for that - good find! Looks like a decent quality sender for very reasonable money.

Monitoring fuel pressure can be expensive on EFI engines so this is just the ticket. Once you have a fuel pressure reading its easy to keep an eye on the health of your fuel pump. And do something about it before things lean out and get expensive.

PL
88execvl

Post by 88execvl »

got mine last friday. Looks quality. will let you know how it works out. they do a gauge for similar moneys also.
skylinegtrhr

Post by skylinegtrhr »

88execvl wrote:will let you know how it works out
Very interested in these sensors too especially for fuel pressure logging , thanks for sharing info and please post yours results, are you planning to compare it with "mechanical" pressure sensor?
88execvl

Post by 88execvl »

I have a type 1 so no info is available afaik. good idea though. I just want early warning for when my pump runs out of room. also Use it to explain any AFR issues I am having and detecting failures quickly. (return lines, regulator and pumps) thought the lower rated ones would be good for boost logging but they do not do negative pressure.

My rebuild is a bit off but it is going on my injector bench for trials.
PL

Post by PL »

Having fuel pressure data available really is a good thing. Just thought I'd share an experience with a mate's car that we did once. I think I've told this story before but what the hell. It's a good illustration of why it's good to have sensors on everything!

S14 SR20DET in a Datto 1600. Running NIStune of course but being a track car we also setup a nice Race Technology dash and logger. Included some of the factory sensors (TPS, coolant temp, etc.) but also had fuel pressure, WB AFR, boost and GPS track mapping.

First time out we recorded a classic lean-out scenario. I'd tuned the car on the dyno and it was solid. But first time out on the track it wasn't well. Leaning out to the point of misfire on boost. Nasty. Managed to extract the data from the logger which told the story.

This is a run down a straight showing what happened. You can see it reach max boost and shortly after that the fuel pressure starts to drop off - accompanied by AFR's going skyward. It gets to 15:1 AFR at 14psi boost. Ouch! Fuel pressure should be 43 + 14 = 57psi. In reality it was more like 35psi. THis would have cost him an engine very quickly if he continued.
brett mallala bad.jpg
Lean out
(84.88 KiB) Downloaded 5940 times
SO anyway, he came into the pits and their were grim faces all 'round. Turns out he's a thorough kinda guy and after the tune he'd fitted an inline fuel filter between tank and external HP fuel pump. This was causing enough restriction to kill his fuel pressure. He removed that and went out again. Here's the resultant log for the same run.
brett mallala good.jpg
All good
(71.83 KiB) Downloaded 5940 times
PL
88execvl

Post by 88execvl »

exactly what I will be wanting as a feature. got a g force sensor also. Trials pending.
PL

Post by PL »

It's nice to have G sensors. If you have lateral data you can count how many times you rolled to work out why your car looks like it does! ;)

PL

The Moment_.jpg
The Moment
(123.65 KiB) Downloaded 5926 times
skylinegtrhr

Post by skylinegtrhr »

I already suggest Matt in this topic viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2700 to try (when he finish these priority things :) ) to make export of TPS ECT AFR and everything we hook to DLP board(like boost) I already have Vbox with 20Hz GPS logging so just need data from engine
and it would be great to know how does cornering G is impacting oil pressure and everything else especially when new aero starts to "work", so you can also lobby at Matt :)

PL

Post by PL »

Hey Mario - that's some serious fibreglass work!!!! :)

That was another good thing about the logging on my mate's track car - we also had oil pressure (not shown) and I was able to get an idea of whether engine damage was likely from that. I plotted oil pressure against RPM and throttle position. He accidentally stabbed the throttle once during rollover but not enough to reach critical revs. And oil pressure never went to zero. That engine is still going strong to this day. In another shell!

PL
skylinegtrhr

Post by skylinegtrhr »

Yes we should definitely "put pressure on Matt" :) for these functionality
PL

Post by PL »

I don't know if extensive logging functionality is going to be possible/worth it. That's why we just went aftermarket on that one. All built into one small module - with data saved to CF card. GPS data + G sensors built in. High data rate. And with extremely good display software including track mapping. Hard to beat!

PL
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Who use CF? SD is where its at :D

Have to look at logging one day. I have a big list which I dont think I'll finish before im 60!
skylinegtrhr

Post by skylinegtrhr »

Matt wrote: I dont think I'll finish before im 60!
No problem
We will eat properly , regularly exercise and always wear seatbelt :) and in Europe S14 is more value every day :)
skylinegtrhr

Post by skylinegtrhr »

88execvl wrote:exactly what I will be wanting as a feature. got a g force sensor also. Trials pending.
Hi any news about testing sensors?