Ostrich 2.0 vs. Romulator

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

SSS

Ostrich 2.0 vs. Romulator

Post by SSS »

All,

Are there any advantages of upgrading to Ostrich 2.0 from the Xtronics Romulator i currently use?

I'm half sold on buying one, but not too sure from a hardware perspective whether or not it's worth it.

Matt, are there any Ostrich 2.0 specific features that will make their way into Nistune?

Advice / criticisms / comments please. :D
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Moates 2.0 is protocol compatible with the romulator, so communicates the same to NIStune

It appears to run the ECU with out the problems of losing data, skipping when changes are made or dropping changes, like I have noticed with the romulator

It is also a smaller unit and runs directly off USB without the worry of requiring ECU power to allow uploads (my romulator requires ECU power when using a USB-Serial converter... because the romulator uses the DTS line to get 5V from the PC but not all converters have this)

It also has a full 64KB of emualtion, whilst the Romulator I only has 32KB of emulation

It also will support hardware maptracing once they get their firmware working

It is a much better unit
GZ@hybridka

Post by GZ@hybridka »

The original ostrich is a nice unit as well, might be able to snag one of those a little cheaper than the 2.0 now that its out.
SSS

Post by SSS »

Gabe! thought you disappeared again for a while! check your PM's on hybridka.

anyway, thanks for the replies guys. That pretty much summed up what i thought about them, might go and order one. :D
GZ@hybridka

Post by GZ@hybridka »

Updates coming, im going to need you to test out some ignition hardware soon.
SSS

Post by SSS »

No worries, just let me know. I'll test it out on the (currently unregistered) daily driver i'm still working on. :)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I've still got to finish donig those maptrace updates for you guys. I've got way too much on my plate at the moment. Anyway better get back to work....
SSS

Post by SSS »

Expecting ostrich 2.0 sometime this week matt / gabe. :D