TPS idle not being recognized

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

UNISA JECS

TPS idle not being recognized

Post by UNISA JECS »

Matt what would cause the TPS closed throttle flag to sometimes not be detected? And when it is not detected as closed the idle is higher but TPS voltage remains the same as it it was being detected at closed throttle.
Matt
Site Admin

Re: TPS idle not being recognized

Post by Matt »

TPS in the mid-later model vehicles appears to be self learning. There is a procedure in the service manual to reset the position

From what I've read it usually involves removing backup power from the ECU (disconnect battery for a period of time) and then letting it relearn but would need to look it up again to find out for sure
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

Matt wrote:TPS in the mid-later model vehicles appears to be self learning. There is a procedure in the service manual to reset the position

From what I've read it usually involves removing backup power from the ECU (disconnect battery for a period of time) and then letting it relearn but would need to look it up again to find out for sure

I think I figured out the problem I needed to switch to a different TPS that my actually 97 B14 ECU is suppost to be running.

Ok follow me also on this one, I have corrected alot of things to fix the TPS signal, but that wasnt the end of it all, the actual throttle body needs to be swaped out to a early style lowport throttle body so that the "correct" TPS sensor can be used, the correct TPS depends on the ECU you are using but im 99% sure if your using any ECU earlier than a 99P11/98B14 ECU you will be using TPS part # 22620-53J00

Quote from me

I know some of you might think like how I did why change it if the original TPS works, well electrically it is different and I know if your like me you just set it at idle to spec's between .45mv - .65mv and figured that was good enough but did you note like I did that it never would reach 4.1v @ WOT and even if yours did its still not the correct TPS, the biggest difference I have seen it that both TPS ohm out totally differently and this is probably where more wierd shit happens to our voltage readings and why sometimes when you start your car the ECU recognizes that the TPS is closed (idle) and other times it does not and you end up with the ECU not recognizing that the TPS is @ closed idle and you have a high idle like I did.

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Okay makes sense!
User_Name

Post by User_Name »

Good find.

I've got a high idle like you're explaining but im not sure if it has to do with something else. I'm running a z32 ECU on S1 RB25DET. I'm not really sure how to correct it.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

With Z32 there is no TPS idle switch on the RB25 so you are working with only the variable voltage input. Sometimes TPS needs adjusting
User_Name

Post by User_Name »

Matt wrote:With Z32 there is no TPS idle switch on the RB25 so you are working with only the variable voltage input. Sometimes TPS needs adjusting
Would this explain why idle is extremely high at cold start and takes a LOONG time for the idle to drop down after the engine is warm? Engine will be warm however idle is still super high as if the engine was still cold (1300-1500 RPM).
RomChip200

Post by RomChip200 »

Z32 has idle switch.
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

User_Name wrote:Good find.

I've got a high idle like you're explaining but im not sure if it has to do with something else. I'm running a z32 ECU on S1 RB25DET. I'm not really sure how to correct it.
For me on the Consult view screen "TPS idle" would sometimes be highlighted during idle and then it wouldn't be highlighed at idle and this is when the funky high idle and lazy rev's would occur, and sometimes turning the ignition switch off and back on I was abel to retrieve the "TPS idle" back to a highlighted state at idle, it was wierd but it no longer has done this since switching to the TPS that matches me ECU Part number.

Consult view "TPS idle" when highlighted equals "idle switch" on.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Z32 has idle switch
Yes it does... but RB25 does not have this switch