CONSULT CONNECTION

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

zspanners

CONSULT CONNECTION

Post by zspanners »

Question for Matt, why does consult connect take several attempts and time outs before I can get a connection.
This seems to have been happening for quite a few months and over several versions of Nistune.
Prior to about a year ago I could connect first time every time??????.

It seems no matter how I start Nistune either with consult cable plugged in or plug in after Nistune is open that Nistune cannot find the cable or connect.
It is usually after 5-6 attempts on my part that we get a connection.
Once connected I do not have any drop outs particularly and am able to disconnect and reconnect at will.
However next time I go to use Nistune ( next day or next week) I have the same drama and repeated attempts to get a connection.
Is any one else having these issues???.

zspanners
CoZZm0

Re: CONSULT CONNECTION

Post by CoZZm0 »

I've never had an initial connection issue with Nistune or any situation requiring several attempts to connect. Maybe its your cable ?
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

it can vary depending on other usb devices and possibly the configuration "com port scan timeout" value.
zspanners

Post by zspanners »

Hi guys, i have a new version Nisan cable from PLMS and several older cables as well.
All have the same issues.
As far as other usb connections ????
I usually only have the Nistune cable connected and nothing else.????
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

Make sure the ECU is not going in to LIMP mode. (poor soldering/desoldering can cause this)
set the "Com port timeout" to at least 8. (when you find a value that works, you can reduce this value until it causes the connection problem)

"check windows device manager to make sure usb is actually being detected when you plug it in" do this by,
having device manager open at the same time as plugging in the usb-consult cable to laptop and see if the device list gets populated with a new nistune device.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Can set time out to 0 for indefinate wait. Email me a debug log file. Not something I see here. It will disconnect and reconnect if wrong address file
zspanners

Post by zspanners »

Hi Matt , i have tried connecting with wrong and correct address files open the with same result.
I use this laptop with many other tuning programs and have no issue with connections , only with Nistune????
We use serial and usb connections with a variety of programs and no issues.
Could it be something to do with port recognition.
For example if I only use Nistune over two or three days it appears to connect correctly first time.
If however I have used something ulse on the USB port and then the next day try to connect with Nistune it takes seven or eight attempts to get a connection.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

That is too many times.... but need you to tick debug logging (File - Configuration) and I can look at it

- Consult auto polling will probe each COM port twice for the 'port scan timeout' period of time
- If your consult cable/USB serial converter is not responding in that period of time then it moves to the next COM port
- Due to some users using cheap USB serial cables with counterfeit Prolific chips in them the timeout takes even longer, so they need to increase the timeout. Setting to 0 timeout makes wait forever
- Time out was added since some bluetooth COM ports hang the scan process for upto 30 seconds (!). Imagine connecting each time and having to wait that long for a connection. So the 'buetooth' friendly scan was added to ignore these ports altogether (can be disabled)
- Sometimes manufacturers improve bugs with their drivers and upgrading those can help. For example older FTDI drivers (which get reinstalled with Logworks unfortunately) freeze up the entire laptop during high speed streaming (noticed on DLP design A/D converter for instance)