so, heres a novel idea!!!

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

HermaN

Re: so, heres a novel idea!!!

Post by HermaN »

supersayianjim wrote:well lets see,

-i helped swap a 7mgte into my 7m body
-owned and pretty much worked on a z32tt
-attempted to swap a 4g63t engine into a mitsu expo(failed cause i had the wrong tranny)
-had a short stint with a suby impreza
-brought,swapped,modded a n/a 89k original mile 240sx that was a auto(now a stick) with a rb20det. did all the work(minus the wiring harness).

if you are bored heres the link to my build.

http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/rb-te ... -s-rb.html

-currently working on a 1jzgte sc400 swap, have the engine and tranny just waiting on the remainder 3k to get the damn thing running.

heres the link to that

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-400- ... oarer.html

so iam car mechanically inclined. i don't know everything. i WILL NOT attempt a wiring harness conversion, i suck at soldering. but the remove,put back,change stuff,inspect,torque. aspect of things i got down pat(thank godness for fsm).

But this values crap is new to me. a guy recommended i take a efi course at the local school. i will probably do that(want to before txtk12).

but my car was running sweet at 22psi albiet maxing out my injector cycle and afm. but with this z32 maf and 650cc injectors now. i just simply want to return to those days.. :(
No offence, but I have met guys who are very mechanically inclined and could do virtually any conversion you could think of, but give them an ECU and a laptop and they'll not have a clue what to do with it.

As a tuner, never expect the customer to be able to help diagnose faults when mapping, if they can then great, but NEVER, EVER purely rely on them. This is why people do not do e-mail mapping, you could be very knowledgable and helpful in diagnosing issues, you could be useless, no-one knows. Also as a tuner you can't relay all the information and exactly what you are thinking could cause an issue via e-mail or phone for every problem. Sometimes you just need to see it.

I have had guys explain an issue to me, can't help them on the phone, go past theirs the next day and it's something obvious to me that they overlooked. It's things like that which are an issue with e-mail tuning.
foliage

Post by foliage »

This is a long shot but I have heard of people doing this before, get a laptop set up with everything you need (internet included), hire a dyno with all the things you need eg AFR that can be plugged into the laptop and logged on the screen and then set up remote desktop.

Sit in the car with skype open and get the tuner to log in remotely, he tells you to accelerate, change dyno load etc, he can see the AFR and do all the tuning remotely.

The only thing that is dicey here is you have to be listening to the knock detection, if you were feeling really tricky you could plug the knock sensors output into the input jack and mute it when you want to talk.

It has been done before and isn't that difficult to do if you are confident with using a computer.

The thing is though if you can find a workshop with a dyno and all this equipment, there is a very strong chance they can just do it all for you anyway though.
Torque

Post by Torque »

bachig24u wrote:
Some guys think AFR's are the bomb. sorry you couldn't be more wrong.
Tuning 100's of parameters is more than just AFR's.

Looked like a 'novel idea' at the time. afraid not so simple.

Hmmmm ?
What else apart from A/F ratio and igntion timings do you touch when tuning then?
If you have a good working base-map isn't that where 98% of all work is done?

Unless you start from scratch, I fail to see the your 100 points ..
supersayianjim

Post by supersayianjim »

well i pretty much made a good working map. i got my tp max down and now at wot my afr is 10.3. still rich i know but good untill i put the car up next month. i suck at math and iam even worse at soldering. but if i can somewhat make a good workable map(thanks to nistune dropdown maps also. then i feel accomplished :arrow: if i did it so can anyone?? right??
Torque

Post by Torque »

Hi!

Well I don't think so, not anyone can 'make' a 'good' map, but probably some people can come up with a 'working' mapping which gets them to the next 'tuner' alright (and might even good for daily driving unless you floor it)

To 'map' you need a thorough understanding of the ECU, and also of the engine mechanics involved.

Unless you have a wide-band-lambda I would be cautious with any changes made, since you have no reference at all.

The base maps in Nistune for R33 (to Z32) should be fine unless you have different injectors/AFM.

Cheers ...

supersayianjim wrote:well i pretty much made a good working map. i got my tp max down and now at wot my afr is 10.3. still rich i know but good untill i put the car up next month. i suck at math and iam even worse at soldering. but if i can somewhat make a good workable map(thanks to nistune dropdown maps also. then i feel accomplished :arrow: if i did it so can anyone?? right??
Decs

Post by Decs »

taking say a stock rb20 with stock afm and injectors, i could probably smash in some numbers and be fairly confident it would run nicely... BUT... as soon as you change the afm or injectors or both, it throws out the load scaling and k value so much that you HAVE to use a dyno, or at least some educated road tuning to get it running through the map correctly. you can have all the conservative mapping in the world but if you think all your boost timing starts at a tp load value of say 60 and in actual fact the engine is seeing a tp of 25, youre engine is gonna blow up quick smart.

I would NEVER do an email tune. Its way too much of a shot in the dark. Any tuner who values his own reputation would say the same.
supersayianjim

Post by supersayianjim »

wow, old thread. still street tuning at the moment. have a staega rb25 motorset now. and it's a different beast ecu wise than the rb20 was. running a z32 ecu. I have a z32n/a base image on and can't upload a stagea rom image(the fun never ends).
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

You cannot load a base program from one vehicles computer into a different one (can only copy the maps manually using two open copies of Nistune)