Problems with Nistune & Base Map

Nistune topics specific to the 6802 cpu

Moderator: Matt

300zxturboftw

Problems with Nistune & Base Map

Post by 300zxturboftw »

I got NIStune installed in a 87 N/A ECU and loaded a 86 T Map and also tried a 84 T map. I have an 85 Turbo btw. Starting the car cold it basically will die unless I have my foot on the gas. The AFR's are 10:1 if not lower (Sensor can't read lower than that). Once it warms up it's still really rough, ~11.5-12 AFR at idle. After driving for a few minutes it finally switches to the normal fuel map. When in gear it's fine but once I have the clutch in or put the car in neutral it goes back to the 11:1-12:1 afr's.

Has anyone had similar problems? How do I fix the enrichment tables so it warms up fine and fix it so it doesn't go back to the other table when in neutral.

Also the car is idling at around 1100 rpm when warmed up. I have all my idle controls still. The target idle rpm in nistune was showing 2500 rpm...I wasn't really willing to change anything drastic on my own because I'm still learning how to change to the appropriate values and get a feel for the NIStune software.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Brian

Above was copy and pasted from the thread I started on z31performance.com

Updates:

First off, the car is stock for the most part. Stock injectors, MAF, turbo...basically everything with just the boost turned up a bit (10 psi on the t3).

I did stumble upon something weird last night though. I decided to install nistune and the ROM pack on my desktop computer. I loaded same maps and they were different than on my laptop! Some of the maps were completely wack, some of them looked better, and hell, some of them didn't even show up (were blank). Can someone upload a 84 or 85 turbo map to here where they know it is right?

I tried loading a 88SS map which actually almost ran okay once it warmed up. But when idling it would sit at 500 rpm and almost die off.

Could it be an ECU problem or is it definitely software related. I plug back in my original 85 Turbo and everything is PERFECT!

Just want to make sure, the 87 turbo has the 22mm Zirconium sensor compatibility, but does it rely on the map or the ECU to match the O2 sensor on the car?

Sorry for the long message!
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Problems with Nistune & Base Map

Post by Matt »

Strange one.

Firstly you cannot load 84/85 files into the 1986-1989 address file. Different files. You must have the file to match the board and address file

So the 1988SS one sounds about right. What is the part number showing up inside Nistune

23710-xxxxx?
300zxturboftw

Post by 300zxturboftw »

I'll look when I get home in a few days from school. I'm quite positive that it's the right board, as when I load the 86-89 address file it comes up and recognizes the board, connecting instantly.

So I can't load 84/85 Bin files onto these address files? Would I be able to copy over the fuel map and ignition maps from the 84-85 bin files though?

I will state though, the 88SS bin file was almost no better than the 84/85 files.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

with the base setup, the ECU should run just like a 1988 model unit

Given that the 1985 ECU works fine there is some issue but I'm not sure what at this stage

Yes you can copy/paste maps from 1984 model. Load two copies of Nistune, one with 1984 address/maps and the other which you have connected to your vehicle

You can copy/paste in raw mode the maps you want to transfer. The later model maps are a lot smoother than the earlier model ones though

Also ECU must match the sensor used. Not sure if it would throw things out but disconnect the O2 sensor in the meantime to elminate that

Also check your injector impedance matches the ECU you are using
300zxturboftw

Post by 300zxturboftw »

I bought the 87 N/A ECU (confirmed it's an 87 N/A) for it's low impedance drivers and 22mm zirconium 02 sensor. I guess I'll keep messing with it when I get home, if not I might have to send it to you or take it back to the place I ordered it from to resolve this.

Thanks for the quick answers Matt

Brian
300zxturboftw

Post by 300zxturboftw »

I think it just clicked in my head. I copied over maps from the 88 into the 86 and 84T bin files. I never tried an 87 or any of those files to write it to the ECU.

Should the 86 T bin file work with the 87 ECU? The address file does say 86-89. If it does work, then I'm still utterly confused lol.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Yes it should work. Only the 1986 NA is different
300zxturboftw

Post by 300zxturboftw »

So I have the same type of oxygen sensor as the Nistune ECU, but apparently they are different part numbers from Nissan. Believe this could be an issue Matt? I'll be home in a few days and I'll just unplug the sensor to see if it works as well.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Try that out for starters otherwise I would next try another board reprogrammed for that part number
300zxturboftw

Post by 300zxturboftw »

So I got Nistune working with my car and the O2 sensor still pluged in, awesome :D .

Don't get your hopes up yet Matt though, because I'm still experiencing problems lol

After fiddling with the maps a bit and uploading them to the ECU I was idling perfect at 14.7-15.2. After unplugging the NIStune ECU, removing the original from it's stock location, mounting the NIStune ECU in the stock location, plugging that back in and trying to start the car I was experiencing the original problem. Connected the consult back to the laptop, uploaded the same maps and, voila, the car starts and runs perfectly.

Assuming that I unplugged the ECU, I thought well maybe it gets messed up if you completely unplug it, so I did a test to assure it. I took the keys out of the ignition for 5 minutes and tried to start the car again, same problem, same fix. It seems when the board loses power it loses the image as if the board doesn't have stored RAM in it to keep the image handy on the ECU.

Is there a solution to this, or is the board faulty...

Thanks for working diligently and quickly with me Matt as I know I'm new to this still,

Brian
300zxturboftw

Post by 300zxturboftw »

I was trying to do a little research for my problem and I stumbled upon another question, which may be my original problem.

I read this topic: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1634&hilit=resync+maps+to+ECU

I know we were talking about the images earlier, but let me get this straight...I need to use the 87 N/A ECU Rom image, since my physical ECU is an 87 N/A, then copy the values from turbo map images into that ECU image? Could that be why it's not saving because I'm trying to resync a 87 Turbo image from the ROM pack? It seems to run completely fine with the 87 Turbo rom image uploaded though, but just doesn't stay synced once the car is turned off for a few seconds.

What's the deal with the Nistune image programmer, is this used to reprogram the board to use another base image of some sort? This is so it is programmed with the physical ECU year and N/A/T Right?
300zxturboftw

Post by 300zxturboftw »

Talked with a Nistune owner today. I wasn't permanently writing changes to the ECU.

Problem should be fixed.
TM_S13

Post by TM_S13 »

I was about to ask if you're really burning the changes to the ECU or just loading them...
It seems someone else beat me to it lol