simple question, long story....any help or thoughts..?

Nistune topics related specifically to the 6303 cpu

Moderator: Matt

zmyzgo

simple question, long story....any help or thoughts..?

Post by zmyzgo »

I installed NIStune couple years ago Transfered the tune I had purchased, finally got to a tuner....since I have done some mods...basically I have changed injector connectors, having some issues. I have done this before, NIStune functioned fine....changed to top feed EV14 style injectors....ran on 5 cylinders...#6 not responding, did some diagnostics, basically wasn't receiving the ground, ecu has bad driver.
Ordered part AUP1558H, while waiting purchased another ecu to have around. When it arrived, I socketed it into the harness, car started right up (doesn't matter if from a jdm front clip, still functions and proved connectors were good).

Transfered my NIStune board to new ecu (same electronics guy) socket it in and runs slightly rough, pulled #6, it is functioning, now #5 seems to be not firing...?...but it still ran, while I went to get some tools, it dies. It will start but I have to have my foot on the gas....? So, I thought I'd hook-up the laptop and see what is on the NIStune board...can't connect...??? I have done the ground problem and even low battery problem, this is not the case.???

A tuner told me something about .net files (firmware), can these differ between ecu's..? Is there something I can do to get any data..?
So, should I have downloaded anything from the new ecu before that chip was removed and NIStune board soldered in? Are ecu's that different?
When the transisitor part comes in I will place the stock ecu back in and see how it runs, if so, then, what could be wrong with a NIStune board install, should I go back to the electronics guy and double check his work? Download the image from this ecu into NIStune?

I just want to run on 6 cylinders, waiting to enjoy.

ecu's #
(original ecu) (new/jdm ecu)
TQ 22
(empty field) 23710 41P04
A18-B04 MFO/ A18-000/
3224 1709
Any thoughts appreciated, Matt help please.
I do have a NIStune tuner and dealer in Tennessee, I am in Kansas City so it is some distance...they will help me with what I need.

Thanks
Hal
Eric

Re: simple question, long story....any help or thoughts..?

Post by Eric »

sounds like the ECU is in limp mode and flooding the engine (limp mode only functions "correctly" with stock 370cc injectors).

maybe a bad install of the Nistune board ? ..as this will definately cause limp mode.
PL

Post by PL »

I'll assume we're talking about a Z32 here, given the part number.

The Z32 ECU's seem to be pretty forgiving when it comes to swapping images between different part numbers, so I doubt that would be the problem. And given that you can't connect I reckon Eric is on the money - it's probably in limp mode due to install problems.

Hopefully when you put the board back in the original ECU (once the driver is replaced) it'll run OK.

Be careful not to damage the pins on the NIStune board when swapping it back!!! If you bend them you need to be very careful when you straighten them up or they WILL break.

PL
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

agreed bad install if you cannot connect to consult

if you put original factory chip in that second ECU does it connect with that?

ROM images do vary and mainly an issue with running of the vehicle (ie consult will still work) when swapping (say JDM for EDM) image may have different running issues
zmyzgo

Post by zmyzgo »

thanks for the input....I'll post the outcome....
I do have some questions about the install, I think 1 pin bent (broke off when attempted to straighten), my guy can correct (has pins etc from work).....I will also now have 2 ecu's and 4 chips, thinking of getting another Nistune daughterbaord, to complete the second ecu...why, ? who knows...
also I appreciate the tuner who sent my car pics... I viewed on your website, like saying that she looks even better now under the hood (the LeMans Sunset Z32 on the dyno)....thanks
PL

Post by PL »

Be very very very very very careful when removing those pins. It's easy (very easy!) to damage the board - rip off pads and tracks. Best technique seems to be to heat the broken pin from the top side of the board with a soldering iron, then push/pull it through the black plastic (which will melt from the heat).

Every tech has his own ideas, but for single pin failures the above technique seems to be best if you're to avoid damage to the board.

PL
zmyzgo

Post by zmyzgo »

Agree..need to be good. The electronics guy makes boards all day for some global safety systems, still truat him. I will re-read all posts. Worse case is a new daughterboard NIStune)...

thanks for the insights....

thanks for the pics on the dyno (nistune site)....yup, that's my Z.....looks better now....just want to be tuned.....
4x4le

Post by 4x4le »

See, I was thinking it may have been something to do with the ent file not being the right one for the ecu, but I am not the one that does our installs.

Hal, if your guy has any more trouble... Have him hit up Andy
zmyzgo

Post by zmyzgo »

yup....gonna check out a couple things, left message at autovaughn for Andy today, may email him....thanks
STATUS

Post by STATUS »

my first z32 ecu install years ago i damaged the board removing the chip, there are very very fine tracks running under the epprom and when prised up it cuts the tracks.... doh did i feel stupid :)

did a similar weird running thing.
zmyzgo

Post by zmyzgo »

UPDATE:
I have purchased my transistor pack. I think I am going to trace pin 114 to the #6 injector and replace that pack with the new one. I then will be using my original ecu, put daughterboard back-in. check how she runs..??...see if transistor was the problem....if not sending to my NIStune shop.... :x

would like to be able to use the new jdm ecu some how, istalled a 28 pin connector, so any help on using it would be appreciated, even thought about getting another daughterboard..??..
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

JDM ECU will need a part number 23710-41Pxx on it to function correctly. Using EDM etc images with this ECU may have unexpected results

There are Programmable Gate Arrays on these ECUs and appears they are coded to line up with the registers in the ECU firmware. That is where mismatched images I believe can have strange side effects
zmyzgo

Post by zmyzgo »

OK, so I understand.

First I am going to try to correct my original ecu, hope all goes well.

I now understand there are differences enough between ecu's from different countries....my only real concern is could I have done any damage to any sensors or any paert outside of the ecu by connecting the jdm ecu tomy US Z32?? just don't want o have done something irreversible. Having said that, a little ticked off at the guy on tt.net who sold me the ecu, acted like he didn't know it was from a R hand drive jdm, after asking questions admits from a front clip....waste ofmy $$$ and time.

So, am I ok with using my original US ecu? any potential problems? could I have damged any part or function of the Z?

thanks
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

no damage done so dont need worry about that

Since you have a JDM ECU there you can either get the board reprogrammed for that one, or if your board is USDM programmed then get that fitted to your USDM ECU
zmyzgo

Post by zmyzgo »

thanks Matt...I think I will be using my closest NIStune dealer...