Type 1 heat disipation

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

ByReaL

Type 1 heat disipation

Post by ByReaL »

just a question,

what i did:
the board fited perfectly in the CA18DET ECU, but because under the type 1 board there were the ecu circuits, and above it were also ecu circuits, i was afraid that the type 1 in anextreme case could touch , and mabey thsi result in ecu or type 1 beein damaged, so i have stiked to lower and upper part of type 1 board electrica isolation tape (only one layer)

my question is :
does Type 1 disipate a lot of heat and this tape will damage it because it prevent somehow it's cooling, or the power used is so small that almost no heat is disipated ?
* Got CA18DET Love
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

The Type 1 board size was designed specifically to fit in the CA18, since it is one of the more popular ECUs which would use this board, and also the most size restrictive (ie if it fits in a CA18 it will fit in anything)

The older Rev1/2 were fairly large boards in comparison (R31/Z31 only) and it took a lot of work to get the PCB track layout right

Given this, there is enough space above the existing components (two caps when folded over) and below the knock sensor board (dont think there was a problem with clearance here from memory during clearance measurements)

If you wish to tape on the board, the board does not dissipate enough heat to cause any problems with that. The hottest part is the Xilinx chip and this does not dissipate enough heat to cause any concern from 'touch' temperature tests

Make sure you hot glue the board in as per instructions to avoid it moving because of vibration. Usually against side of the case and a blob under the connectors is sufficient