Warm up Timing

Nistune topics related specifically to the 6303 cpu

Moderator: Matt

my1path

Warm up Timing

Post by my1path »

M30 ECU
I want to start looking into this issue I've noticed the other day. I only get one chance per day (right before work) to observe but it doesn't seem like I can change the amount of advance added to warm up.
I looks like at least 10 degrees is added to my idle timing and I don't know what to my off idle timing I'll try to see that in the morning.

I tried changing the following while the engine was running this morning and I will look again but they did not seem to have an effect.
"Warm Up Timing"
"Idle Timing Offset Warm (temp)"
"After start timing ADV"
my1path

Re: Warm up Timing

Post by my1path »

UPDATE:
Today before starting I zeroed those 3 maps. And then made changes from there.
The only one that made a difference was "Idle Timing Offset Warm (temp)" It says:
"temp" "-40"
"Deg BTDC" "20"

Taking the 20 down to zero got rid of my cold advance. I left it up to 5 before the engine was too warm for me to keep seeing its effect but I'm assuming it scales whatever you advance is between -40? and normal operating temp?

Lastly, once I got rolling there was knocking whenever I got on the throttle. Nistune was reporting 55 degrees any time the throttle was open. I loaded known good .bins and nothing changed. Turned the engine off for 10 seconds and restarted and everything seemed normal. Bad write requred a restart?
my1path

Post by my1path »

my1path wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:07 am Lastly, once I got rolling there was knocking whenever I got on the throttle. Nistune was reporting 55 degrees any time the throttle was open. I loaded known good .bins and nothing changed. Turned the engine off for 10 seconds and restarted and everything seemed normal. Bad write requred a restart?
More on that, It did it again driving on my lunch break. I had a bad .bin no matter what I changed it would do that when loaded.
Using compare could not single out anything that would cause that so deleted the .bin.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

So is it okay now?
my1path

Post by my1path »

Matt wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:42 amSo is it okay now?
yes, all good starts and drives now but with a quirk I also noticed the other day.
Before the engine is fully to temp: there is a spot under light load and low rpm where the timing access a map other than Idle and the main timing map. I did some playing around and discovered it was accessing the "warm up timing" briefly before going to the main timing map. This map was previously zeroed when I was trying to figure out what was going on and that's how I saw it do that. My remedy was to just have it copy my idle timing map.
RomChip200

Post by RomChip200 »

Refer to this: https://forum.nistune.com/viewtopic.php ... NCE#p27289

btw, this is normal for the ECU to push timing (more advance) when cold during warm-up, this is wanted behavior.
This is still more true when running E85.

These jeopardize the timing b/w 30° and 50°C for RPM < 2600 and TP < 44 if initial engine temp was b/w 15°C and 35°C:
WARMUP_TIMING_TP_MAX,&H7FD6,1,1,1,1
WARMUP_TIMING_RPM_MAX,&H7FD7,1,1,1,50
WARMUP_TIMING_TEMP_MIN,&H7FD4,1,1,1,1
WARMUP_TIMING_TEMP_MAX,&H7FD5,1,1,1,1

Get rid of this by setting WARMUP_TIMING_TEMP_MAX with -50°C (first check done)

WARMUP_TIMING,&H7F60,16,1,16,1 gives 20° BTDC @idle above 2000rpm when warming-up, 15° BTDC otherwise