Need help learning to tune mild built GTR RB26 tune

Nistune topics related specifically to the 6303 cpu

Moderator: Matt

raceryan

Need help learning to tune mild built GTR RB26 tune

Post by raceryan »

Little background, live in Japan and have a built engine I'm dropping in this weekend. My help is a Japanese dude and his shop we're using in his off time. He's used to tuning via F-CON, Power FC Etc and has never used or even seen Nistune. I want to learn tuning using Nistune that is installed on my ECU I put in a few weeks ago, he wants to go FCON since thats what he knows. I need help starting out since I'm learning and don't want to blow it.

Engine going in is an RB26DETT with twin 2530's, 264 Tomei PONCAMs with adjustable HKS cam gears, NAPREC built polished and ported head, Hks 680cc injectors, N1 rods, crank and forged pistons, Z32 mafs, ORC 659D clutch. On the dyno at the shop it put down 590hp. My car is a bone stock 89 R32 GTR with a NISTUNE'd first run BNR32 ecu....

Reading and watching videos is one thing, doing it on an expensive build of mine is another. Reading up I see I should set the K const with injectors first, disabling closed loop, hitting 14.7 AFR. Then wire in the Z32's and tune the VQ map and K.
After that I'm pretty lost. I showed him a live view and data log and he said he knows AFR and Fueling, but he is seriously hesitant because of the knock maps he saw and the fact everything is in english. His english speaking and reading is very poor. He want's to go FCON, I don't. Mainly because of added cost, wiring and piggy back crap.

Looking for the latency and other info for the injectors has been fruitless. Any advice of where to go next once it's idling right? Or possibly have a similar tune that I could use?
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Need help learning to tune mild built GTR RB26 tune

Post by Matt »

There are a lot of workshops in Japan now which are using Nistune. It appears that there is a large language barrier so I've added for them the ability to use translation files to display in Japanese

Both of these distributors speak English and have translation files available. You would need to contact them, explain the situation and see what they may charge to provide you one
Satoru Yoshida (Distributor)
Sakyo-Ku, Kyoto 606-8417
dlabomnemonic[at]gmail.com

Stage International (Distributor)
2528-3 Shichihongi Kamisatomachi Kodamagun
Saitama 369-0306
Contact Sakamoto
info [at] stage-i.co.jp
http://www.stage-i.co.jp
Satoru does regular updates, but you will need to run a particular version. As I add more text into Nistune, the translation files need updating to support it.

FCON as you mention is just a piggyback and I would not use on a build such as this, even if this is what the tuner is familiar with

Does your board has feature pack loaded? If the board has feature pack [05U6F part number] then the injector adjustment is easy. You set the new injector size and use the new 'Total injection multipler' to trim the fueling. No rescaling is required at this point. Once the vehicle runs the same AFRs as before then you can upgrade the MAF

Use the Operations > Resize MAF to change this to Z32. For GTR ECU select the tickbox 'GTR ECU' to halve the Z32 VQ maps (since there are two used in the GTR)

After this, the vehicle is capable of reading load upto the load capacity of two Z32 MAFs (about 1000hp estimated). You may need to adjust your load for what the vehicle can actually do by either adjusting K constant (if feature pack loaded) or adjusting TP scales in fuel and timing (if no feature pack)

Then trim the fueling until AFRs are back to normal. You can tune with the O2 sensor disabled, but these days we recommend tuning with it enabled, and adjust the fuel trimming until your FTS/FTL fuel trims are close to 0%. It will mean your fuel trims are correct and there should be no changes when O2 sensor is reenabled

With the fuel map, view in 'filtered' mode and then adjust the numbers in the map until you get the AFRs that you require on the wideband

Timing map is fairly self evident with all timing being in degrees BDTC
raceryan

Post by raceryan »

Thanks for the help, You're meaning the ECU part number determines if the feature pack will work right? My car was one of the first R32's released with an 05U02 ECU. Anything I need to specifically know and monitor IRT knock maps?
raceryan

Post by raceryan »

I got the built engine in, but I can only get it running using an APEXI power FC that is from a car close to the same set up from another R32. I had it running with the nistune ecu after I changed AFM to z32 with GTR ECU, and injector size from 440 to 680 checking tp scaler, tp max limit and cranking tables. When I started trying to adjust it to make idle better ended up making stumble and stall out on startup. To make maters worse I'm not so sure which file it was running as I had tried uploading three (stock, injector change only, injector and maf change) Now I can't get it started with the nistune ecu, only the power FC. I tried uploading the nistune map that I had it running with at first but no joy. I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. I do know I have it free flowing straight out the turbo outlets with no WB O2 as I'm waiting for the larger downpipe. Once I had it running I tried to burn it to the board and got that error "data synchronization mismatch. Resynch to nistune, burn to board terminated" and that's where all the above problem originated. Not sure what I did as this is the first go go me. My Japanese shop friend has no idea. We've had no luck contacting the people for the translation files
Attachments
image.jpg
(2.03 MiB) Downloaded 3243 times
Tengis

Post by Tengis »

When you first connect with consult you need to sync the maps you are working with to the one in the ECU... you can click the green down arrow to do that. From that point you would make changes and when you go to burn them you shouldnt get this error.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

If you change stuff when consult is disconnected, or you load a different file etc then what is on your laptop is not the same as on the ECU anymore

You need to use upload to stay in sync with the ECU.

There is no feature pack on this Nistune board (standard firmware)

Try the attached file for 680CC/Z32 MAFs. Upload to the ECU

Adjust the K constant upper/lower to get your fueling back to normal afterwards and work from there
Attachments
BNR32_05U62_680CC_Z32MAFs.bin
(32 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
Tengis

Post by Tengis »

I sent him a file yesterday that apparently worked pretty well. Car starts up and idles just fine. I am suppose to be looking at his car tomorrow (he is about an hour and a half away from me).

The file he sent me that his tuner had changed was a little awkward. For some reason they used the maf translation to get the car idling and the curve was way off. The k constant was a lot lower then mine was after I made the ECU changes for his injectors and maf. His tuner is accustomed to tuning with a PowerFC and I have been told by some that a lot of those guys tend to do things a little different.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Yeah they tweak the VQ map to do the tuning often on those