ECU issue - CEL and Eng Cont fuse - Z32

Nistune topics related specifically to the 6303 cpu

Moderator: Matt

MagicMike

ECU issue - CEL and Eng Cont fuse - Z32

Post by MagicMike »

Hi all (and Matt),

I have recently had an issue with my Wife's Z32. Out of nowhere, it blew the Eng Cont fuse and CEL light came on. I had tried all the usual suspects such as shorts in wiring to o2's etc etc without luck.

On the weekend just gone I managed to borrow a stock ECU which I swapped in and it has fixed the issue.

Interestingly, many months ago (maybe last year) I had a similar issue with my Z32. After many many hours of trying to rectify the issue, it turned out to be something inside the ecu touching the metal ECU case. I 'fixed' the issue by using small slithers (1-2mm wide) of 4mm silicone hose to space both the internal top board off of the main board, and also the metal ECU case away from the board.

Back to now, I have applied the same 'fix' to my wife's ECU last night, however I have not yet re-installed it into the car to see if this has done the trick.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this same issue before? I find it very strange that of the 2 nistuned ECU's in my household, both of them would suffer from the same issue.

Am I alone?
Matt
Site Admin

Re: ECU issue - CEL and Eng Cont fuse - Z32

Post by Matt »

Check how you have installed the board. There is a electrolytic capacitor above where the Nistune board fits. I normally insulate this with the foam pad which comes with the board

Make sure there is clearance between all components and the Nistune board

Assuming this is all done correctly there should be no issues (none I've heard of before)
MagicMike

Re: ECU issue - CEL and Eng Cont fuse - Z32

Post by MagicMike »

I'll have to check it out! I have never installed a board, both were done by 2 different shops.