Consult plug not communicating

Nistune topics related specifically to the 6303 cpu

Moderator: Matt

boarderline

Consult plug not communicating

Post by boarderline »

Hey, I am new to nistune. I just got nistune type 2 board installed in my z32 ecu to run my s2 rb25det. I wired the consult plug to my ecu harness and re-checked and double checked to make sure I wired my consult plug in right. Everything is where its suppose to be and i know it has power and a good ground. I turn the ignition on, start up nistune on my laptop and press connect but it will not connect with my ecu. says Consult not connected COM6:spare. I have tried every port on my computer I can and nothing. I know that the drivers installed properly and my computer see the cable and nistune consult.
the red light on the interface is on and when I press connect the Rx flashes once. What do I have to do!? Im stumped :(
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Consult plug not communicating

Post by Matt »

Does the car start and run okay without the LED in the Z32 ECU staying on? Need to check if ECU is limp mode

Do you have the original RB25 ECU there? If so select ECR33 RB25DET and try and connect to this. If that fails, it can only be the wiring to the consult port

Use a mutimeter and check 12V and GND on the plug. Then check continuity between RX, TX and CLK lines from ECU to consult plug. Also check RX/TX not backwards!
boarderline

Post by boarderline »

I actually have not started the car on this ecu yet. Last year I ran it with the stock rb25 ecu using the safc 2.
I do have the stock rb computer still, I don't understand how it would connect to that ecu without nistune in it? I have checked power and ground to the plug and those are good. I will check continuity of rx tx and clk. Just to clarify, on the rb25 harness, if your looking at the side of the plug that plugs into the ecu, 21 is first wire on the top row just to the left of the screw and 22 is right next to it? Then 31 is right under 21?
boarderline

Post by boarderline »

Hey, I have checked the ohms between the consult plug and the ecu plug. All is good there. I checked the ecu codes and it says its all clear and no malfunctions with code 55, so shouldn't be in limp mode. I verified I have good power and ground to the consult plug. I still can not connect to it. The port on my laptop sees the the consult plug, so that should be good. I tried using my rb25 eccs and I couldnt connect to that either but that eccs doesnt have a nistune board in it. any other ideas???
lowdermilkdrift

Post by lowdermilkdrift »

I would like to know how to solve this too...been super busy but I have been dealing with this same problem ever since I have had nistune...only difference being that it connected the first time but ever since won't connect....question without the plms cable plugged into the laptop but with it plugged into car should the 12v from car make the power led on cable light up because it doesn't on mine.....does the plms cable ever fail
boarderline

Post by boarderline »

Without my cable plugged into my laptop but plugged into the consult plug ony engine harness the red light on the interface doesn't light up either. I just assumed that it got power from the laptop.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Last year I ran it with the stock rb25 ecu using the safc 2. I do have the stock rb computer still, I don't understand how it would connect to that ecu without nistune in it?
Nistune can connect to any Nissan ECU with a consult plug prior to OBD-II. You can select ECR33 RB25 from File > Select vehicle and then connect to it

I have checked power and ground to the plug and those are good. I will check continuity of rx tx and clk.
Just to clarify, on the rb25 harness, if your looking at the side of the plug that plugs into the ecu, 21 is first wire on the top row just to the left of the screw and 22 is right next to it? Then 31 is right under 21?
It should look like

[ ] 21 (RX) 22 (TX)
[ ] 31 (CLK)

Bolt is on the left. See the 'MAF and consult pinouts' document on our website under Support > Documentation
I tried using my rb25 eccs and I couldnt connect to that either but that eccs doesnt have a nistune board in it.
Doesnt matter, should be able to connect to a factory ECU even.
does the plms cable ever fail
They shouldn't. Try another vehicle with an grey consult connector and connect to that

If you can connect to the other vehicle, but then not your vehicle even with stock ECU then something with the wiring still?!
boarderline

Post by boarderline »

According to the pinout your looking into the harness side of the plug, the bolt is on the left, so if your looking into the terminal end it would be on the right, correct?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

ECU plug. See document I was referring to which you should be wiring against
Attachments
consult_wiring_rbvg.jpg
(150.15 KiB) Downloaded 4238 times
boarderline

Post by boarderline »

Matt wrote:ECU plug. See document I was referring to which you should be wiring against
That ecu pinout diagram, is that harness side or terminal side?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

ECU terminal side
nanook

Post by nanook »

When my plms consult cable is connected to consult plug only and not laptop there is no power light at all, the 12v led is only for USB 12v supply.
Double Check for 12v between gnd and 12v pin on consult plug in above pic.