Q45 consult problems

Nistune topics related specifically to the 6303 cpu

Moderator: Matt

Stinky
Site Admin

Q45 consult problems

Post by Stinky »

Matt,
I tried connecting to consult on the vh45 yesterday. I'm using the blazt.biz usb cable. Nistune shows that it connects but I'm not getting any data. The data display window shows nothing and I'm unable to do a download or anything else. A log is attached along with the cfg file I'm using. The config should be the same as what you sent me except I had to add a CPU = 0 line because I think you left it out. BTW, the free version of conzult, ecutalk, and datascan all work pretty well. Calumsult doesnt work right if that helps.
Attachments
nistune-0619-2021.log
(17.28 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Q45_VH45DE_256_E.adr
(1.9 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

from looking at the logs the consult device is on com5

something strange went on here
20:21:26 EventMangager: CONSULT_EVENT_FIND_REGISTERS
20:21:26 TX:5A(Z) 00(.)
20:21:26 sendBufferArray: 2 bytes sent
20:21:26 ConsultCallBack - Poll check only
20:21:37 QueueEvent: Added 4
20:21:37 GetQueuedEvent: Event 4 Index 0
20:21:37 EventManager: CONSULT_EVENT_ROM_DOWNLOAD
20:21:37 Standard

straight into download mode

and then
20:21:37 sendBufferArray: 24 bytes sent
20:21:37 ConsultSerialReadLoop: Waiting for 24 of 24 bytes
20:21:37 ConsultSerialReadLoop: WaitCommEvent failed: Error The parameter is incorrect.

this occured several times. i will have a look into it here. something screwed up in my latest consult updates
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

just checked the log version... 0.905a Consult2

some 'consult2' updates to the code may be reponsible for this. if you want to try the innovate 'test' version and only select 'consult' from the configuration list and let me know if the problem still exists

i need to get time and go through the consult code again

matt
Stinky
Site Admin

Post by Stinky »

Will do.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

i've changed the nistune USB code to rev3. just need to make that last 'fix' for the corruption issue

then start testing out the rev3 extended Consult patch code to match and i'll check Nissan consult functionality at the same time
Stinky
Site Admin

Post by Stinky »

I tried the Innovate test version 906a5 on Saturday. Seemed to have teh same problem. Log is attached.
Attachments
nistune-0624-2049.log
(12.12 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

this error
20:50:15 ConsultSerialReadLoop: WaitCommEvent failed: Error The parameter is incorrect.

occurs again. it might be the blatz USB-serial drivers have some problems. do you have access to a standard serial consult cable?

i think blatz use the FTDI 232 chip (same as bikirom uses). i have a FTDI protoboard here which i can make a RS232-USB converter from to use the same drivers with my serial consult board to test this out here. it may be a couple of weeks before i can build and test it however

nissandatascan and others probably dont use the same amount of error checking as nistune does so work blindly. i might have to ignore this error because of the FTDI chip to get it working
Stinky
Site Admin

Post by Stinky »

I dont have access to any serial consult cables at this time. How critical is the error checking in this case? Maybe make it optional for those who use the romulator to make changes?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

i'll see if i can work around this one in the meantime. only appears to be the blatz units so far, i am using a homebuilt unit and other people using the serial PLMS unit with several types of ecus
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

well this one is getting fun.

i made a FTDI RS232-USB adaptor today. works good with consult and romulator from nistune... and i thought this is what blazt was using

but nope.... they use the CP2101 USB-UART chip which has different drivers again. and these drivers have some kind of bug since even the FTDI USB-serial drivers work fine!

so i've got the CP2101 drivers ... but not the hardware so cant test that one here...

i'll try and make some updates and see how you go with the hacks around their driver errors. obviosuly nissandatascan doesnt call the same functions i do (this is a serial status function i query)

matt
Stinky
Site Admin

Post by Stinky »

Hmm. Well that kinda sucks. At least you have a usb consult cable now. Are the driver errors something the manufacturer of the chip should be fixing or is it an error caused by the way nistune works with the chip?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

usb-serial chips and their drivers are notorious for not working as expected. this is a manufactuer driver issue which doesn't support this windows function properly

cheap nasty serial converters from ebay may not even stream consult properly. a belkin one i got previously was returned becuase it lost data streaming from the romulator. usb data is timeslot packet based, it was missing data between timeslots i think

actually this is my second USB-serial converter. i have an Aten one which i paid $60 for and that works fine with my consult, but only does download from romulator. it doesn't seem to be able to upload to it (not from my laptops anyway). probably doesnt do the voltage quite right for upload?

the FTDI chips and drivers are quite good but the problem with the chips is that there is a lot of extra stuff required external to the chip in order to use it. the nistune boards use the parallel version of these chips and i need an external crystal, EEPROM and supporting caps

similar devices like the blazt have all this (serial version) on board so few parts required. it makes layout so much easier and smaller. unforuntately no one really makes parallel versions but FTDI

anyway i'll have a further look into it tomorrow
Stinky
Site Admin

Post by Stinky »

Any news on this? I'm probably going to start playing around with the the 450sx again shortly.
Stinky
Site Admin

Post by Stinky »

I see you fixed the Blazt consult problem. It seems to be working well with the 450sx. I noticed the timing value is incorrect but its also incorrect in nissan datascan. When I went to do a ram trace to find the correct timing value address I got a checksum error and got disconnected. I'll probably have a chance to play with the romulator function in the next couple of days. Log is attached. It's very long so I think you'll want to search for "checksum" to find where I got the error. Also, the adr file you include in the install for the vh45 needs the "cpu=0" line put into it.
Attachments
nistune-0828-1632.zip
(936.23 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Stinky
Site Admin

Post by Stinky »

Ok, I guess you didnt fix the Blazt cable issue? I tried it again after having some success and I couldnt get it to work again. It came up with a timeout error when trying to connect. Let me know if you want the log. Anyway, I have another home built serial type consult adapter that I wired up and it seems to work fine. I still wasnt able to do a ram trace though. The main thing that bothers me now is that the timing value is not correct.