Knock warning

Discuss possible software enhancements/changes here.

Moderator: Matt

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Okay Rev15 is now working for

Type 1
A31 RB20, HR31 NICS/ECCS RB20, J30 VG30, VLT/R31 RB30, S13 CA18, Z31 VG30
- To do add to the Z31 VG30 1984-1985 models
- S13 KA24E doesnt have knock sensing and not viable to add to others

Type 2
HCR32 RB20, BNR32 RB26
- To do add to the Z32 VG30/M30 VG30
- Does U12 KA24E have knock sensing board? Probably not...
- Not adding to other ECUs which run Type 2 since not viable

Once those To Dos are added I will roll out a new address pack with these images and the latest released software then start on Type 3

I'm also checking through all the maps etc and updating the mapping guide. It is pretty much complete for Type 1/2 and address files have been updated using a new structure

I've now got to go through and check all the Type 3/4 address files and make sure their maps are working as described and documented better

Also maps are separated into sections for the next version to make it clearer to read and work with
TM_S13

Post by TM_S13 »

sounds pretty interesting...
good work Matt
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

just an update after spending half of Sunday on the BNR32/Z32

I thought I had BNR32 working but no its not. The code from HCR32 to BNR32/Z32 is different

I've got signal generator, logic analyser and oscilloscope running on both ECUs at the moment trying to work it out.

There is a pre-condition knock count which I've been able to use on the earlier code base but its different on these (and Type3/4 ones)

The post-condition knock count requires car is above certain, RPM, TP, temperature etc. I cant seem to get that one triggering a count on the bench at the moment (and not getting into the section of code).... i'll keep trying however
bardabe

Post by bardabe »

any updates?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

nothing on knock sensing at the moment. I'm doing some application updates at the moment and when I get some more slow time will revisit the Z32 stuff again
bardabe

Post by bardabe »

ehhh bump?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

knock sensing has been postponed

we did some testing on the R31 last dyno run and there was a lot of knocking detected with headphones which was not picked up by the ECU knock sensing board and counted subsquently by the firmware

this means its not a reliable method of picking up knock and we still recommend a good set of headphones. so i've been working back on software fixes instead of spending lots of time on firmware changes and testing
mono

Re: Knock warning

Post by mono »

Hey Matt

Just wanted to know if Knock sensing is activated for Type 3 board specifically SR20. Just fitted mine today
and on stock maps i seem to be picking up knock. Busy fitting a knocklink to check if its a false knock or if legit.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

On the dialog (knock warning) it is mentioned as under 'testing'

This means I've only covered specific models for checking:
S13 CA18DET
VL RB30ET
Z31 VG30ET
HCR32 RB20DET

Later ones arent covered yet. Due to problems noted during testing (false positives and fake negatives) I've reduced the priority on this one since it is _not_ a substitution for real knock detection. So many tuners have reported that the factory knock sensing actually can go as far as pulling timing out and changing to knock maps unintentionally due to false positive reporting by the ECU that they want a means of turning it off (possible on SR20 not possible on BNR32 for instance)

We do not recommend solely using this method for checking knock
mono

Post by mono »

Cool shot thanks
B14SR20VET

Post by B14SR20VET »

Type 4 board, P10 ecu, how is the knock turned off? Must it be done by the image board?
Matt wrote:On the dialog (knock warning) it is mentioned as under 'testing'

This means I've only covered specific models for checking:
S13 CA18DET
VL RB30ET
Z31 VG30ET
HCR32 RB20DET

Later ones arent covered yet. Due to problems noted during testing (false positives and fake negatives) I've reduced the priority on this one since it is _not_ a substitution for real knock detection. So many tuners have reported that the factory knock sensing actually can go as far as pulling timing out and changing to knock maps unintentionally due to false positive reporting by the ECU that they want a means of turning it off (possible on SR20 not possible on BNR32 for instance)

We do not recommend solely using this method for checking knock
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

See if you have 'feedback flags' a tickbox called 'knock feedback' where you can disable
nanook

Post by nanook »

Hey matt

I just started mucking around with the car tune again and I noticed knock is not always in the logs

ie 1 log may show knock count and the next has no knock count at all

if I restart the program it seemed to come back
B14SR20VET

Post by B14SR20VET »

nanook wrote:Hey matt

I just started mucking around with the car tune again and I noticed knock is not always in the logs

ie 1 log may show knock count and the next has no knock count at all

if I restart the program it seemed to come back
Wasn't the knock detection function abandoned?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

yeah has been for now. I still want to add it to my ER34 but I've got more important updates to get in the meantime