SAVE AS?

Discuss possible software enhancements/changes here.

Moderator: Matt

Torque

SAVE AS?

Post by Torque »

I always have to think twice what 'SAVE AS IMAGE FILE' really means ..

Is it:
Save the file right away (using the old name)

Or

Save the image file under a new name?

That should be made clearer, and the item should be labled- > 'SAVE IMAGE FILE AS'
(that's also in line with 99% of the applications out there)
Attachments
save as.jpg
(14.03 KiB) Downloaded 3369 times
bachig24u

Re: SAVE AS?

Post by bachig24u »

'save as' comes from ms-windows logic.
not from english correctnessness
could probably leave the 'image file' off the description, or even put it in inverted commas.
Torque

Post by Torque »

Hi,

Good point SAVE AS :)

But maybe it's just me ..

And how many countless times have I overwritten a .bin I didn't want to overwrite .. :(
Also Nistune does not ask if you overwrite via SAVE. (I always have a full backup ..)

Therefore I have raised the issue before since the 'open file icon' and the 'save icon' are dangerously close to each other!
And believe it or not, it does happen that the mouse drifts 3 pixels off, and then the .bin is overwritten! :(
Not good!
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

stop driving and trying to save bin files LOL..
1 road bump can make for some weird settings changes.

make a habbit of starting with a bin file, but then straight away using 'save as' and append the date to it.

thats the easiest way I've found to keep things in check, and you can save it where you like!!.
Torque

Post by Torque »

Yes,

The file handling could use some new features.
Easiest thing would be automatic creation backup-files or date-stamps attached to the file-name.
(as with the data-logger)

I could also imagine the generation of a checksum (which is added to the file-name) so you can easily see if a file's content has changed.

I better stop (too many ideas)
;)
PL

Post by PL »

bachig24u wrote:stop driving and trying to save bin files LOL..
1 road bump can make for some weird settings changes.

make a habbit of starting with a bin file, but then straight away using 'save as' and append the date to it.

thats the easiest way I've found to keep things in check, and you can save it where you like!!.
That's a good tip. I do the same. When you first start your tune use "save as" and then you're sweet. I take it one step further and make a folder for each customer. Then when it's all done I have the tune, the logs, a copy of the dyno graphs and a .txt file with a description of the vehicle/engine mods.

While we're on the subject of saving tunes - don't ever save them in the NIStune ROM pack or you'll lose your tunes next time a ROM Pack update is installed! Like any user data - you don't save it to where the application is installed or you'll lose it if/when the application is deleted/reinstalled etc.

PL
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I can change the 'save' functionality next to the image selection to 'save as' or just add an extra button and reword the drop down to 'Save Image As'
Easiest thing would be automatic creation backup-files
This is already done. There is an 'autosave.bin' saved in the Nistune folder

I would prefer not to keep saving automatic datestamped BIN files as people found with logfiles before we forced the 'do you want to keep' option there ends up being a massive store of files after a while with no idea what is what. Especially for tuners switching between different vehicles
Torque

Post by Torque »

The autosave.bin gives you not much security, it's a one-off ..

However I do understand that with GUI issues there are many opinions,
but still save as image-file is confusing.

Matt wrote:I can change the 'save' functionality next to the image selection to 'save as' or just add an extra button and reword the drop down to 'Save Image As'
Easiest thing would be automatic creation backup-files
This is already done. There is an 'autosave.bin' saved in the Nistune folder

I would prefer not to keep saving automatic datestamped BIN files as people found with logfiles before we forced the 'do you want to keep' option there ends up being a massive store of files after a while with no idea what is what. Especially for tuners switching between different vehicles
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

As for the icons ... this is the same as other MS products (eg word)
Attachments
saveas_menu.JPG
Save As updates to menu for 0.10.11
(14.3 KiB) Downloaded 3283 times
msword_example.JPG
MS Word icons
(46.28 KiB) Downloaded 3283 times