Release the windows !:)

Discuss possible software enhancements/changes here.

Moderator: Matt

Torque

Release the windows !:)

Post by Torque »

It would actually be quite useful if the windows within the Nistune screen could be 'set free' ..

For example:
I use the log-player quite a bit, and need to watch the fuel maps while playing the log.
But since all windows are captured within the Nistune screen it's always 'cramped' with windows overlapping.

Shaun

Re: Release the windows !:)

Post by Shaun »

+1

Non-captive windows would be good for multi-head displays.

There is an app (Display Link) for the ipad that you can use as a second display. Its fast enough to watch video on full screen, so a few gauges aren't going to be a problem.

I could see myself using the ipad for the multi-gauge display to free up the laptop screen for everything else. I find it gets quite cluttered when you have everything open that you're interested in while tuning.
Torque

Post by Torque »

Hi Shaun,

Yes .. I use a computer with a 2nd display but can not really take advantage of it.

I am afraid that Matt would have to change his code quite fundamentally to make this work.
(I think the whole foundation of his window management would have to be rewritten?)

The fact that all windows are glued to one 'screen' is not great, especially in a multi window environment.

:)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

You are talking about the 'frame' which all the windows live within?

I'm not sure how that can be achieved at this time. All windows must live within the frame given the multiple document structure used within MFC. If its possible to make those views existant outside the frame work then I would be able to do it, but would then make things like re-ordering windows etc interesting

Have to look into it further
Torque

Post by Torque »

Good morning from the UK
(another rainy day)

Yes, the frame that glues all together ...Especially users with dual head setup (so multiple screens)
would benefit.

I just checked this in Photoshop, there you have one main frame, but you can move windows out of the screen alright.

Maybe after the dust has settled you can give this a look?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

You should be able to move the frame onto two screens on a dual head setup. Used to be able to do that previously before moving back to single screen (I develop on laptops these days)