Consult wont connect after Nistune update

Discuss software bugs and related problems here.

Moderator: Matt

Jake

Consult wont connect after Nistune update

Post by Jake »

Hello,
The software recently tried to update but gave me some sort of error. I had to manually update to 1.3.25. Since then I have not been able to connect to the ECU using Nistune or the free ECU Talk software I have. The ECU is not in limp mode, the car runs fine and there is no flashing warning light.

I am using a thinkpad laptop running windows 10, the Consult cable from Concept Z Performance, and a type 2 board with feature pack in a HNR32 Skyline.

I am assuming this is some sort of driver issue, because I was connecting fine before the update. Concept Z Performance has a wizard which installs its drivers for you. I have uninstalled the com port and driver software in windows device manager and re-run the driver wizard. I dont have a cable with blinking lights so I dont know if there is data sending or receiving, but there is 12V on the power and ground pins.

Any ideas on what to try next?
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Consult wont connect after Nistune update

Post by Matt »

Consult cable from Concept Z Performance
Maybe contact CZP about their cable. We can only support the PLMS ones

We have various FTDI drivers which are installed as part of the installer. One included for the programmer too, depending which software packages you installed. Maybe you had those ticked, and they interfered with the CZP ones?

Check device manager and see if you can see a 'COM' port for their cable showing. IF so make sure Nistune shows this COM port in the Config > Misc > Consult port > COM port list
Jake

Post by Jake »

Oh yeah ill bet I checked the box and installed whatever drivers it asked me to.

The cable shows up in the device manager and in Nistune as com4, so I'm assuming the cable isnt broken. Ill see if i can figure out how to uninstall the drivers manually and try again. If it installed drivers for the programmer, how do I find those? Would those show up in the list of drivers for com4 in the device manager?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Code: Select all

Oh yeah ill bet I checked the box and installed whatever drivers it asked me to
Don't tick those if not using our Type 1 board or PLMS cable. That is what those drivers are for

If you see COM 4 (no errors) in device manager, then the drives should be fine. If it shows in Nistune then that is good also. So if you are trying to connect COM4 and get no response, then you may either have a cable problem or the ECU is no longer responding...

Can you enable debug log (File > Config > Misc > Debug logging) and then restart, attempt connection with ignition on and cable connected to that COM 4. Afterwards post the log here and I'll check it out

PLMS cables have a light showing green/orange when sending data to the ECU and getting it from the ECU. Not sure if your cable has this?
Jake

Post by Jake »

I attached a log.

Unfortunately this cable has no blinky lights :/
Attachments
nistune-0705-2204.log
(24.41 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Thanks for that

Found COM port:
05:10:50.517 Found COM4 USB Serial Port
05:10:50.816 CheckPort(COM4)
05:10:50.816 statusbar: Found port COM4
05:11:04.115 statusbar: CONSULT Connecting to COM4 (attempt 1)
05:11:04.116 CSerialSupport:Initialise(): Connecting to COM4

Sent consult initialise:
05:11:04.233 TX:FF FF EF

No reply:
05:11:05.396 StateMachine: CONSULT_STATE_TIMEOUT

So the software side is fine. It can see a USB-serial device FT232R on that COM port, but there is no response to the consult commands it is sending. Either it is the cable (no longer working) or vehicle no longer responding

Maybe get CZP to check the cable. It shouldn't be the vehicle, and the laptop (Nistune/ECUTalk) and drivers look fine
Jake

Post by Jake »

Alright ill contact them and see what they say. Thanks for your help
Jake

Post by Jake »

You were right, the cable was bad. They sent me a new one and it connects fine now. Thanks for the help!
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Ah good!