Display / Icons size not ergonomic

Discuss software bugs and related problems here.

Moderator: Matt

RomChip200

Display / Icons size not ergonomic

Post by RomChip200 »

Do you think this is ergonomic ?
Nistune has a problem with display for years now.

8" tablet, 1920x1080

[img]
IMG_20180618_084956.jpg
(1.71 MiB) Downloaded 2698 times
[/img]

[img]
IMG_20180618_092706.jpg
(1.45 MiB) Downloaded 2698 times
[/img]
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Display / Icons size not ergonomic

Post by Matt »

Nistune has a problem with display for years now.
Nothing has changed in the software, but if you are running a higher screen resolution, so the icons are smaller than at lower resolutions obviously. I've seen this on my newer laptop so will do something about it in the next lot of GUI changes.

I've got to figure out how to make the icon bitmaps adjustable sizes to accommodate this. Normally the bitmaps are fixed size (which previously I switched between small/large) but now with this screen resolution, the large icons now appear small!

With regards to the consult register selection, there is a 'gap' at the end which is to accommodate a future change, with an extra description when Consult 2 registers are displayed. That will be rolled in with the next upcoming releases.

I also have with these GUI improvement to add customisable gauges which I hope to get done in the next few months
RomChip200

Post by RomChip200 »

You got the point.

BTW, all should be adjustable size according to screen resolution to make by default everything readable and touchable with one finger.
Tablet in car is handy but Nistune is currently not shaped for it.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Agreed. There is not only the screen resolution, but also the DPI which is allocated by windows to applications. Most newer applications now look at the DPI setting (rather than resolution) and rescale fonts, bitmaps, graphical layout, dialog boxes etc based on the DPI.

I'll do some research into how to do this and need to go through each window to accommodate larger DPI settings to scale the windows accordingly
RomChip200

Post by RomChip200 »

Yes, DPI is the right word.

Windows 10 in tablet mode already applies a default scaling factor (in display settings) to apps .
It's 200% for 8" tablet with 1920x1080 LCD res
It's 125% for 8" tablet with 1280x800 LCD res
Custom value is possible.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

All tables have now been updated (address selection, consult register selection, map copy selection etc) to stretch out to current window size for next release

Doing icons will be a separate task, since a bit more difficult to solve
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

RomChip200

Post by RomChip200 »

:)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I'm now setting minimum resolution at 1024x768 (was 800x600 but not even the configuration window fits in this size)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Release is up. Let me know how that goes. I've done some initial changes. The load/save/X icons will not resize yet (only the buttons which window resizes)

btw I havent forgotten about the screen update rates, that will take more work. It all depends on how regularly I update various gauges, maptrace, logger etc based from the input data (consult and wideband). I will add the new gauges in first and do the fixes afterwards

I cannot do a display refresh on every frame update, so I have to do it in 'frames'. However if I space it too far then we get missing data (in the maptracing for maps/tables as well as the Trace display window, which Torque pointed out previously)
RomChip200

Post by RomChip200 »

I just did a short test on my laptop at my job, the icons still look too small to my mind.

Delta Compare is still wrong.
Attachments
1.2.86_DeltaCompare.jpg
(545.29 KiB) Downloaded 2629 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Top row of icons appears to look okay (they are in proportion to the rest of the fonts)

The X, SAVE, LOAD icons need to be scaled still. The LHS list of tables needs to be upscaled however, since those are too small

Delta compare has now been fixed (got broken with changes from BYTE to WORD display for new maps added). That release will hopefully go up later this week

Also the internal map definition file was not included with build, so I've re-released 1.2.86 now to fix that problem which resulted with incorrect scaler display, and FP maps not being detected (ie during import operations etc)
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I've done some more updates with DPI scaling.

Windows automatically updates the table scales (LHS list) but others like Wideband, Knock Panel, Consult view etc needed updating

At 200SPI (see attached) the buttons and LHS list are correctly scaled (my display resolution here however is limited as you can see to 1920x1080)

Is that display 200DPI?
Attachments
Nistune_200DPI.png
(164.25 KiB) Downloaded 2536 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Also 150DPI (default for this laptop)
Attachments
Nistune_150DPI.png
(383.52 KiB) Downloaded 2535 times