Issue with multiple gauges window

Discuss software bugs and related problems here.

Moderator: Matt

Eric

Issue with multiple gauges window

Post by Eric »

Not sure if this has ever happened to anyone else, but I recently had an issue with the multiple gauges window. (version 1.2.81)

The gauge window was set to full/maximum size and I wasn't able to resize, minimize or close it.
It also took main focus, so I wasn't able to access the main Nistune window.
I had to kill Nistune through taskmanager to close Nistune.
Then every time I restarted Nistune, this multiple gauges window also re-appeared in max. size and the same issue occurred.
I am not sure what caused this, but it seemed to have something to do with the size of the window. (maybe a corrupted stored window-size or something)

I had to remove all Nistune registry entries, uninstall and then reinstall Nistune to get rid of this issue, which was rather awkward during a tuning session.

I haven't been able to reproduce it yet (and to be honest, I don't really want to), but maybe there are other reports of this issue ?
I will soon try to reproduce it on another laptop (one that is less critical)

-Eric
Matt
Site Admin

Re: Issue with multiple gauges window

Post by Matt »

It seems to be an intermittent issue. There is an option to re-open the gauges (for people running in-car PCs) when you start Nistune. This is what is happening, it checks the registry flag and then opens the gauges up

Why it has just turned on all of a sudden for you I am not sure, but there appears to be something enabling it. Normally it should only be enabled when connected to consult and the guages have been opened.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Ok, maybe it has something to do with the fact I sometimes hibernate my laptop (leaving Nistune open) during sessions when tuning multiple cars or when diagnosing mechanical issues.
It happened after I woke up my laptop from hibernation.
But normally this works fine and I can continue where I left without any issues.

Where exactly is this option to disable/enable the gauges at startup ?
I don't see it in the configuration settings
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

http://www.nistune.com/mantis/view.php?id=200
I've raised a problem report and put my investigation so far into it. The auto opening of various windows (including this one is automatic) and not switchable from the Configuration panel, but I will add that in. I would have been curious what the previous GAUGESVIEW keys were at the time of the problem (export registry keys) but I realise that is too late now, so will see if I can suspect/hibernate to cause the problem again
Eric

Post by Eric »

OK, if it ever happens again I will first make an export of the Nistune registry keys.
RomChip200

Post by RomChip200 »

I take benefit form this post.

I use the gauges window everyday on my in-car 8" tablet (1920x1080), the gauges window can be unreachable sometimes (the cross / minimize buttons go over the screen).
Btw, once you minimized, you cannot reach it anymore because it is covered by the left panes.
Moreover, when you close it and reopen it, 99% of the time, it doesn't reopen at the same pos XY when you closed it, :evil:
The windows positions stored are not accurate.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

When the software is not shutdown/closed correctly I think the registry values for the window size get messed up by the Windows window size routine in the OnDestroy() function

Something like putting into Standby/Hibernate might be triggering windows to report incorrect coordinates to be saved. It works fine if shut down normally, but these corner cases I've not been able to repeat here to see the values. If you can do a registry export and email it, I can check it out

Maybe I can handle the corner case by checking for max/min ranges, but that will need to be checked against screensize
Eric

Post by Eric »

Maybe as an alternative, make it possible to use a certain (function) key to open/close (or minimize/maximize) the multi-gauge window ?

I noticed some of the other windows already use function keys to open, but maybe add the ability to close that window again using this same key ?

PS: are these (function) key shortcuts documented somewhere ? only F8 seems to be mentioned in the manual, but most others aren't.
RomChip200

Post by RomChip200 »

I use hibernate all the time, useful for in car tablet.

F1 pops up an help screen.
I agree a shortcut is missing for gauges.
F6 opens consult gauge but I never use this one.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I'll look into spare function keys for the shortcut this week, maybe also an option for imbuilt car-PC to only enable full size screen if this is ticked (inside File > Configuration)

F1 is the help option with list of keys, but that is not covered in the manual (need to add)
RomChip200

Post by RomChip200 »

What is full size screen ? Gauges window maximized till its limits ?
It's not full screen as window borders are still there.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

It is not maximised, but still takes full window size. Tickbox config option would prevent automatic open window regardless
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

http://www.nistune.com/mantis/view.php?id=200
Found an issue where the logic for the auto open was inverted. I've fixed this an added an 'auto open' tickbox to override default behaviour. Have not been able to repeat the 'out of bounds' conditions on X,Y position and size just yet
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Put size and position checking on the window. Test Release 1.2.86 later this week