Wideband AEM Failsafe 30-4900 connection

Anything related to the AEM brand of wideband devices.

Moderator: Matt

Shane001

Re: Wideband AEM Failsafe 30-4900 connection

Post by Shane001 »

Well I spent most of this afternoon trying to figure out why this wasn't working. Then I did some research on com0com and the AEM WBFS Bridge software....

So it turns out you do not use the DLP for this method. You do use the USB connection from the AEM gauge.

For anyone else wanting to do this, the AEM WBFS Bridge was developed by the Evo community to log the AFR signal from this gauge. The bridge software basically converts the data from the USB cable to a serial/COM output signal. com0com then basically duplicates this signal to another com port number that can then be used with Nistune (or other software).

So for the method above, all you do is plug the USB cable from the gauge into your computer, run the bridge software selecting either of the two com port numbers from com0com, then run Nistune and configure the AEM wideband to use the other com port number.

The downside to this option is that it does not log boost. AFR/Lambda only.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Found an issue from logs, that another customer emailed through

Problem appears to be that the data gets out of sync. So we are looking for say “14.7\r\n” but then the data stream gets messed up and is seen like ” \n14.7\r”. I’ve put an update in a beta version tonight 1.3.32. That should fix it
polemite

Post by polemite »

Shane001 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:04 pm

...all you do is plug the USB cable from the gauge into your computer, run the bridge software selecting either of the two com port numbers from com0com, then run Nistune and configure the AEM wideband to use the other com port number.

thanks for figuring this all out. connects perfectly.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I've put an extra checkbox for Lambda output. Under File > Config > Wideband (AEM UEGO)

The AEM UEGO will report say 14.7 for AFR and 1.0 for Lambda. There is no easy way to differentiate between lambda/AFR output setting on the gauge.
polemite

Post by polemite »

i recently reinstalled nistune (Version 1.3.43a), and now it seems that i can't get my wideband to connect.

the bridge is connecting on 9, and i configured wb1 for port 8 (tried the reverse as well), but NT wont even launch the gauge when i hit the button. not sure if this is a bug, or if i've overlooked something in the configuration... but i can't seem to figure it out.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

We will need debug logs
File > Config > debug logging to see what is going on
polemite

Post by polemite »

my mistake- when connecting the gauge this way, you have to be certain to be plugging into the exact same usb port, or nistune wont pick it up. the wideband bridge software doesn't care, but nistune does. apparently i forgot which usb socket i originally set up for this.