AEM X-WIFI

Anything related to the AEM brand of wideband devices.

Moderator: Matt

xendrik

AEM X-WIFI

Post by xendrik »

I recently purchased the AEM X-WIFI wideband package assuming that it would work with Nistune since it uses the AEM UEGO controller (according to the marketing). Naturally, my assumption appears to be incorrect :) as it does not appear to work with Nistune. Now, instead of trying to return it or get a different wideband setup, I thought I'd ask here to see how hard it would be to get support for it added to Nistune.

Looking at the previous threads on here for the AEM UEGO, it appears that communication with Nistune will not work until you can confirm, through a terminal connection, that the wideband is delivering readings. Using the Mini-USB to USB cable, I am able to assign the device to a COM Port and connect through a terminal. However, the data stream appears to be different than the AEM UEGO Gauge. The data stream for the gauge is supposed to look like this:

However, the X-WIFI displays output like this:

The first column appears to be the Lambda value and the other 2 columns are for the EGT sensors, which I do not have, but thought I may at some point. I did try connecting using AEM's software and was able to get a successful connection using their application as well:

One other thing to note is that the COM port settings were slightly different than what I've seen for the UEGO Gauge. The baud rate/bits per second for the Gauge I have seen displayed as 9600, however for the X-WIFI, the baud rate is 115200. It is possible to turn off any of the 3 streams and have any combination of the AFR and EGTs streaming. I did try turning off the EGT streams and have just the AFR data streaming and then using Nistune, which I figured would not work, but tried anyway.

I did see that there is a thread for AEM's new inline UEGO, but that it appears to have similar issues as the X-WIFI in that it also output's different data than expected. Is it a difficult process to have Nistune recognize these other outputs? If not, I'd like to request an additional recognition of the X-WIFI output.

I hope I've provided enough info on the issue that I'm having, but if I've overlooked anything, please let me know. I hope this is the correct place to ask this and that I'm not asking something that has been answered time and again.
Matt
Site Admin

Re: AEM X-WIFI

Post by Matt »

Its a different output so will need coding to add it. I've got everything there I need apart from I dont understand the -1000 what that is meant to be (just invalid because EGT not connected?)

I should be able to code that up fairly easily and add it but you will need to test it for me!
xendrik

Post by xendrik »

Thanks Matt for being willing to code it up!

Yes, the -1000 I believe is meant to mean "invalid" because there are 2 EGT connections with no sensors attached and unfortunately I don't have an EGT sensor to hook up to see what it would display for those 2 channels. So, the output it displays is: "Lambda,EGT,EGT". I'm assuming if I had one hooked up it would display in degrees F, but I haven't been able to find any pictures of the direct COM port output for the EGT sensors. I think what I'll do, so that there is less chance of having to revisit this code, is contact AEM directly and try to find out what the output for those 2 channels would be, if you don't mind. I'm only concerned with the AFR reading at the moment, so if you don't want to deal with the EGT readings at this time, I won't worry about it.

As for being a guinea pig, I have no complaints with that. If you have a specific set of tests that you run for each new wideband you add (other than setting the preferences right and clicking the WB button in Nistune), please let me know.

Thanks again for being so willing to do this! :)
xendrik

Post by xendrik »

I got a hold of AEM's technical support and was able to confirm that the EGT channels should be in degrees Fahrenheit. Hopefully that gives you all the info you need. Please let me know if there is anything else you would need.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Just doing the lambda for now and if someone wants EGTs then I'll do those later. Fairly simple change since reusing existing code with minor tweak for the input change. Will be in next version
xendrik

Post by xendrik »

Great! Thanks, Matt. I will keep an eye out for the next version and will test it out and report back.
xendrik

Post by xendrik »

Hey Matt,

Grabbed the latest version today and I didn't see any specific wideband option in the drop downs for the x-wifi. Is there a special way to configure it? I tried using the UEGO gauge just in case, but as I expected, that did not work. Let me know when you have a chance.

Thanks!
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

sorry forgot to include this in the drop list which put all the wideband units out by one. uploading fix tonight
xendrik

Post by xendrik »

Cool, grabbed the latest release and now I see the WIFI option listed.

I gave it a trial run, but I didn't have much luck to begin with. Most of the time I would get Invalid Communications, but occasionally I would see an initial reading of the AFR and then it would disconnect immediately after.

I turned on logging briefly to see if it would generate any info that would help, I've attached the log for review. I'll continue to look at things and see if I can discover any issues, but I'm not that versed in reading the log, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to interpret a problem from it.

Let me know if there is anything specific you want me to check/try. Thanks Matt!
Attachments
nistune-0103-1009.log
(657.92 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Can you do another log with only the AEM connected? the Type 1 board logging is flooding the rest of it

From what I can see there was at some times an influx of AFR data and other times no data at all. Seems a bit strange
xendrik

Post by xendrik »

Sure, no problem. Here is another log I did tonight, but only once in this log was I able to get a reading. Again, it was just a brief reading before it terminated the connection.

I believe I may have discovered the problem, however. I had a hunch that the port speed that Nistune was connecting might have been incorrect, so I installed Portmon to monitor the port connection. I then attempted a connection via Nistune and saw that it is attempting to connect to the port at 9600 baud instead of 115200. I've attached the Portmon log as well in case it is not just the baud rate and is helpful in debugging the problem.

Thanks again for working on this Matt, please let me know if there is anything else I can assist with in determining the root cause of the issue.
Attachments
Portmon.LOG
(254.84 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
nistune-0104-2147.log
(98.73 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Crap! You wrote it above and I missed it

Okay I need to change the baud rate based on the wideband type selected. Yes you are right since I'm still reading at 9600. Okay will change that tonight
xendrik

Post by xendrik »

Thanks Matt! I took a look last night and the 0.9.14.21 version up there didn't appear to have this fix in it. Is that correct? Was it supposed to be in there or is it the next version I should be looking for?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

No that was a bug fix for S14 KA24DE... still to do this one

Okay just put the code in then
xendrik

Post by xendrik »

Great, thanks! Sorry to bug you about it, I wasn't sure since the version up there was different than the previous one I had. I didn't realize that it was for a different change. I'll keep my eye out for the next one!

As always, thanks so much for your support in this! I really appreciate how much you are willing to make changes for everyone and to continually improve Nistune :).