AEM UEGO shows AFR but can't be logged

Anything related to the AEM brand of wideband devices.

Moderator: Matt

fwlrmusic

AEM UEGO shows AFR but can't be logged

Post by fwlrmusic »

Hey,

I'm helping a friend get his RB25DET set up for tuning. He has a UEGO and we've wired up the serial connection and have gotten the AFR to read in the wideband box in nistune.

The wideband doesn't show up as a source though in the nistune datalog.

Am I missing something?

Thx!
Matt
Site Admin

Re: AEM UEGO shows AFR but can't be logged

Post by Matt »

So you are not seeing the LAFR/LO2 parameters in the software with Wideband 1 configured as UEGO in File > Config > Wideband?

So it is not in the logger drop down?
fwlrmusic

Post by fwlrmusic »

OK update!

We are able to log but the serial data is becoming corrupted and giving a frame error in nistune. I have included the raw serial data where I saw the weird ascii character fly by. I'm assuming this is what is tripping nistune up.

We have tried grounding the ground pin on the serial connector to the connector itself. Also I was able to get it to log for 15 minutes by holding my thumb on the transmit line which led me to believe that maybe its noise related (thumb acting as a capacitor?).

Open to ideas!
Attachments
serial fuckery.png
(2.92 KiB) Downloaded 4184 times
fwlrmusic

Post by fwlrmusic »

confirmed that as long as I hold my clammy thumb on the pins of the connector the serial data is happy... weird.

Gonna try soldering a 2Mohm resistor from TX to ground, and if not build an RC filter on that pin.
fwlrmusic

Post by fwlrmusic »

Tried a few different resistors down to 100k and nothing helped. I'm thinking of trying a different serial adapter. It's so weird that we can go out logging as long as I hold my thumb against the backside of the pins, then within a few seconds of letting go the serial data freezes...
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I could look at noise immunity, but that is difficult. I would suggest a capacitor on the line or another USB-serial converter

Try about 0.1uf between the lines and see if that helps:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decoupling_capacitor
fwlrmusic

Post by fwlrmusic »

I actually did try a 0.1uF cap from the line to ground and it shunted the whole signal. We tried two different laptops. I'm thinking a new serial converter is in order.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Agreed. I've seen some pretty bad ones (which mess up all the data) over the years. So I only stick with good brand ones