Cannot connect to consult type1

Discuss hardware problems here.

Moderator: Matt

shromy

Cannot connect to consult type1

Post by shromy »

loaded and reloaded all drivers, my laptop sees the device as does winview etc. just cant get it to talk. also the fuel pump doesnt run, diag lights stay on with the board in, but if i put my old rom chip in it works as normal. have checked and rechecked the header connection and "beeped" the traces on both sides from the nistune board to where the heder connections go to the next circut. any ideas people, i think im just frustrated and missing something stupid simple.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Board is not running properly stopping ECU and all comms from working

Which ECU are we talking here?

What is the part number written on the board? Can you grab a pic of the install where the CPU wires go so we can check?
shromy

Post by shromy »

this is a 88t z31 ecu specificly out of an 88ss. a19-001 e90 same as shown in part d of the header connections page 14. I wont be able to get a pic till about 5 pst in the US. maybe i can get one quicker ill try my best. thanks Matt
Steve
shromy

Post by shromy »

also the ecu has been modified for the cobra maf mod etc.
shromy

Post by shromy »

the pictures you asked for ImageImage PICS are clickable.
shromy

Post by shromy »

Image Another in case that wasnt what you needed.
shromy

Post by shromy »

well looks as though i made a mistake, somehow i broke off pin 15 on the nistune unit where it plugs into the socket. with it installed i still get continuity from the backside of my ecu to the top pin on the nistune board, but is this to much of a resistance between without the pin?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

we can post you out another pin so its reliable

shoot me a mail and I can organise that
shromy

Post by shromy »

that would be nice, thank you. I am still having the problem with the board pluged in though.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

i just had a look at the close up of your pics...

you need to clean the flux around where the socket and the connector plug solders into the board. Use acetone, IPA or even paint thinner with a brush to clean it. I see solder slugs in the picture which may cause issues

The main problem is the simtek chip on your board, its come off the board?! How the that happened I'm very curious about

Has the board been anywhere near extreme heat for this to come off? This is why the board isnt working since the chip is not even soldered to the board properly. It will need to be sent back for inspection and repair
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

PL indicates that the simtek has been shorted and got cooked. since it got so hot it caused the solder holding it to melt and that is why the chip has shifted

Make sure you clean up all your solder joints and inspect with an eyeglass. You will need to send us the board back and we will need to install another simtek to the board and fix then pin and then test
shromy

Post by shromy »

all the solder joints are ok besides being ugly, but will clean them as you asked, just wanted to wait for it to fire up before finishing the install. As for the heat issue i have no clue, it hasnt been near anything i can think of unless somehow something shorted with first install but never felt any heat etc when i have touched it. you have any clue based on the pics as to how it may have shorted? if it has happened how you say thats alot of heat to desolder all those pins and for it to shift but i do see what you are saying. Well i guess it all boils down to what you need me to do and where it needs to be sent. Also you have an email from me with my screen name as the subject.