PLMS cable stopped working (not another consult not connect)

Discuss hardware problems here.

Moderator: Matt

lynchfourtwenty

PLMS cable stopped working (not another consult not connect)

Post by lynchfourtwenty »

this is Not another consult not connecting thread

my plms cable stopped working recently, i take very good care of it (as its a $100 item).

after my injector swap i tried to change my injectors in nistune, when i plugged it into the laptop the lights did not come on, i kinda messed with it for a minute an found that if i squeezed softly on this one part that it was come on for a second. so i took the plastic wrap off an use a pencil eraser to lightly push around the area that was making it work for a second. i found that if i pressed on this spot with the pencil eraser that it would come on and stay on, here is a picture with the spot circled in red.

it says L1 next to the thing i press on, i think its called a jumper?

so do you think it came loose an just needs re-soldered or what?

to me it seems like a manufacturer defect since in such an odd location an its all wrapped up an stuff, if it was mistreated the whole units more likely to break then just that 1 little thing coming loose or whatever.

anyone else ever have this issue? what should i do? im not forking out another $100 thats for sure.
Matt
Site Admin

Re: PLMS cable stopped working (not another consult not connect)

Post by Matt »

Best to email Pete pl [at] plmsdevelopments.com since he knows that board very well. It may be one of the solder joints came unstuck and just needs resoldering
lynchfourtwenty

ya i sent him an email also, no response yet though :(

i was able to use one of my daughters hair ties an wrap around it to make it work so i can adjust for my new injectors.. gotta be uber careful though.
lynchfourtwenty

got the cable replaced, thanks to pete!

and all is working well again :)
PL

Post by PL »

Cool. Glad it's all good now.

For anybody else with this issue - we had a batch of cables that had suspect inductors (L1). In some cases the end caps come loose. Unfortunately this inductor is in series with USB power that powers the USB comms chip.

It was only some Rev 4a boards that had this problem. You can usually pick it by simply flexing the interface slightly with it plugged into your USB port. If the red power LED goes off then you've probably got a problem. Drop me a line (email address on my website www.plmsdevelopments.com) and I'll replace it.

Alternatively, for those handy with a soldering iron, the inductor is of little consequence, so you can just replace it with a piece of wire/component lead/solder blob and everything will be fine again.

PL