The CA18DE-R Project

If you know what B.S. stands for you know what goes here.

Moderator: Matt

knightrous

The CA18DE-R Project

Post by knightrous »

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post up a little bit about the project I'm embarking on, and possibly looking for some advice along the way from those of you with knowledge.

My project is taking my Nissan Silvia S13, and making the CA18DE into a CA18DE-R, R being Nissan code letter for Supercharger. The plan is to bolt on a SC14 Supercharger from a 1GGZE (6cyl 3L). The motor is a bit of a hybrid, I'll be using a CA18DET block and head, for the oil squirters, and because my DE head is pretty well shagged (Lifter rattle from 2500-8000rpm :P). Also using the DET injectors and DET pump.

I'm going to retain the pistons from the CA18DE due to the higher compression, and I'll be using the CA18DE cams as well. I'll be using an S15 sidemount intercooler for charge cooling, reason is cheap and that it will do the job and it will be protected from the roadkill my S13 generally encounters...

The whole plan behind the project is to build a snappy, responsive motor and bring it to around the 180-200HP mark. Boost will probably be around 6-8psi depending on how it all runs. I've got to build a custom designed electronic BOV/BPV for when the SC is turned off or over boosts. Being electric, I'm hoping to have more control over it.

Now the part that I'm lacking mostly is the ability to tune the whole setup when finished. I'm looking for a bit of advice on what I'll need to look at for getting the most out of my tune, I know that tuning the SC is different to the way you would tune a turbo due to the way the SC is Linear and the turbo is exponential. I'm located in QLD and would like to catch up with a fellow Nistune user located on the Sunny Coast/Brisbane if possible :) Someone to provide some pointers in person would be great. Matt, if your ever in QLD please, please let me know :D

I'll update this with some photos once I move house and get some of the parts out of there storage boxes.
datsunboy

Post by datsunboy »

Weve just done this to my mates Datsun 1200 coupe.
Supercharged CA18DET.....he used the DET pistons, and same supercharger, at 8psi, and made 203HP at the wheels.
we tuned it with RomEditor and an emulator....lol, I have Nistune now, but didnt back then.

so you should be able to make 200HP easy with DE pistons.
datsunboy

Post by datsunboy »

heres a pic
note that the MAF was too close to the S/C where pictured, we had to move it into the wheel gaurd space to get the reading unaffected by the charger.
Attachments
johnengine.jpg
supercharged CA18
(80.79 KiB) Downloaded 2971 times
knightrous

Post by knightrous »

How hard was it to get it tuned initially? Can you PM me some contact details of your mate, it would be good to talk to someone who has walked through this already :)

Hearing those results has just made my shit day at work enjoyable :P
datsunboy

Post by datsunboy »

the guy that owns it doesnt know much about tuning at all, hes a machinist tho, so was easy to make the SC kit.
I didnt do the tuning, I just showed the guy at the dyno shop how to work ROMEditor.

its much the same to tune really