Nissan Consult Device, Genuine Hardware

If you know what B.S. stands for you know what goes here.

Moderator: Matt

CoZZm0

Nissan Consult Device, Genuine Hardware

Post by CoZZm0 »

Has anyone got/played with an Original Nissan Consult handheld device ?

I managed to get one recently but i'm finding information and program cards hard to come by, or just ridiculously expensive. Interested to know if anyone has played with one or has one (working or otherwise).

Cheers.
Attachments
consult.JPG
(109.16 KiB) Downloaded 2837 times
Zedstar

Re: Nissan Consult Device, Genuine Hardware

Post by Zedstar »

Lindsay Drife at Z Shop Melbourne had a couple of these a few years ago. He might be worth a try.
Eric

Post by Eric »

I have 3 original Consult 1's (one is for parts) and a Consult 2 ...and lots of cards (european and a couple of US cards)
Still use the Consult 1's quite a lot...actually got one in my car with me all the time :mrgreen:
They are especially nice for diagnosing or resetting other DDL capable ECU's in the car (ABS/HICAS/AIRBAG/NATS/AC/AT/4WD/ATESSA/etc)

Is there anything in particular you want to know ?
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

That is the thing, there are so many systems, but it isn't really worth the time to implement the commands for all of them for the various vehicles out there
CoZZm0

Post by CoZZm0 »

Zedstar wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:13 pm Lindsay Drife at Z Shop Melbourne had a couple of these a few years ago. He might be worth a try.
Thanks mate, i might get in contact and see if there's anything left.
Eric wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:25 pm I have 3 original Consult 1's (one is for parts) and a Consult 2 ...and lots of cards (european and a couple of US cards)
Still use the Consult 1's quite a lot...actually got one in my car with me all the time :mrgreen:
They are especially nice for diagnosing or resetting other DDL capable ECU's in the car (ABS/HICAS/AIRBAG/NATS/AC/AT/4WD/ATESSA/etc)

Is there anything in particular you want to know ?
Hey Eric, I'm interested in some other cards for collection and diagnostic purposes. I have a 1997 Primera Wagon with SR20VE and CVT and the CVT diagnostics don't work with the card i have because the card doesn't have the right program. I looked at the possibility of trying to replicate the cards, but found out (as i'm sure many before me have) that they aren't a standard PCMCIA card format connector and given the cost and rarity of the card, i'm not in a rush to crack one open to see if i can do anything about making a 'universal' card like the similar technology of the Tech2's.

I keep my ECUTalk LCD in the car with me all the time.

Also interested if you have, or have ever seen the RS232C cable for the unit?

Matt wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:57 am That is the thing, there are so many systems, but it isn't really worth the time to implement the commands for all of them for the various vehicles out there
Yeh totally fair there Matt, and in most cases, its features people aren't going to use for the time spent to implement the diagnostics, not to mention you're going to need a specific cable that can connect to each of the different diagnostic pins in the connector for the other systems.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Hey Eric, I'm interested in some other cards for collection and diagnostic purposes. I have a 1997 Primera Wagon with SR20VE and CVT and the CVT diagnostics don't work with the card i have because the card doesn't have the right program. I looked at the possibility of trying to replicate the cards, but found out (as i'm sure many before me have) that they aren't a standard PCMCIA card format connector and given the cost and rarity of the card, i'm not in a rush to crack one open to see if i can do anything about making a 'universal' card like the similar technology of the Tech2's.

I keep my ECUTalk LCD in the car with me all the time.
which card version do you have ?
2 letter, 3 digit number on the card; first letter stands for continent: U= US, E= Europe, J= Japan, etc
second letter is the menu language, E= English, G= German, etc.
the 3 digit number is the version.

I have 2 of the later version cards which I can spare, a EG960 and a EG980 (European market and all menus and everything is in German and no way to change it)
I think the 980 has the CVT..need to check , but not sure about the VE engines...as those were more or less a JDM only thing.
I have lots of older versions as well, but all German.

I also have a EE980 (the english version), but it's my only one and use it myself

Send me a PM if you're interested in the German cards..

would be nice to be able to copy the cards somehow...have never really looked into this though
the cards look like some old kind of CF flashcard
No, I haven't.
Don't think it was ever available (to regular Nissan dealers at least)
I do have a grey, black and white cable (all with probes) to use with the multi meter function on the consult.
CoZZm0

Post by CoZZm0 »

Eric wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:28 am which card version do you have ?
2 letter, 3 digit number on the card; first letter stands for continent: U= US, E= Europe, J= Japan, etc
second letter is the menu language, E= English, G= German, etc.
the 3 digit number is the version.

I have 2 of the later version cards which I can spare, a EG960 and a EG980 (European market and all menus and everything is in German and no way to change it)
I think the 980 has the CVT..need to check , but not sure about the VE engines...as those were more or less a JDM only thing.
I have lots of older versions as well, but all German.

I also have a EE980 (the english version), but it's my only one and use it myself

Send me a PM if you're interested in the German cards..

would be nice to be able to copy the cards somehow...have never really looked into this though
the cards look like some old kind of CF flashcard
No, I haven't.
Don't think it was ever available (to regular Nissan dealers at least)
I do have a grey, black and white cable (all with probes) to use with the multi meter function on the consult.
I have an AE950 card which is Australian / English 1995.

I have never seen/noted a "Japan" card starting with J ?

It has got VVL in the menu for logging (which surprised me), and it does log it (shows on/off as it should when activated) but recognises only the one stage of VVL, not the dual stage (intake/exhaust) on the vehicle which may be updated in later versions.

I shows the CVT, but it comes up with "impossible to proceed" when i try to select it. I imagine it would probably work on an early Micra that had CVT though.

The card from what i can gather is a "Linear Flash Card" which is distinctly different from a CF Card as the unit access it directly and there is no file/directory structure as such like a CF Card, also the access time is much faster. The issue is the Consult card pinout is 1x38 and the standard PCMCIA cards are 2x34 so it cannot even be plugged into a normal slot. I was hoping an adapter could be made to even just a allow reading/writing of the card so if you had a 'library' of card images, you could 'flash' the appropriate library to the card and then use it.

If you could spare the EG980 card, even for me to test and return, that would be awesome, i'll send you a PM.

Shame about the RS232 cable, i'll keep an eye out for one, even to get a pinout might be handy in the future. My kit is complete with probe and cables as well which was a bonus !

Can you confirm the "base os" version is HT-OS 1.04 ? (i think this only visible when the battery is flat/when you get an error screen). I ask this as my unit cannot set a date past 1999, millenium bug ! Thought maybe there was a later base OS version that might have dates past 2000.