INNOVATIVE NO CONNECTION

Anything related to the Innovate brand of wideband devices.

Moderator: Matt

DRIFTBOMB

INNOVATIVE NO CONNECTION

Post by DRIFTBOMB »

I HAVE INSTALLED DISC W INNOVATIVE MTX-L
AND IT STILL WONT SEE THE SERIAL TO USB ADAPTER
I HAVE A SONY VIAO NR260E...W VISTA...
IVE TRIED ALOT OF DIFF METHODS TO NO AVAIL...
MY NISTUNE WAS CONNECTING FINE YESTERDAY...
I ATTEMPTED TO UPDATE DRIVERS FOR THE INNOVATIVE AND NOW MY NISTUNE WILL NOT STAY CONNECTED
IF ANYBODY HAS ANY IDEAS OR ANY FRRE SOFTWARE THAT CAN SEE AND FIX DRIVERS PLZ LMK
bachig24u

Re: INNOVATIVE NO CONNECTION

Post by bachig24u »

don't use capitals... its not polite when blogging.

Tell us what version logworks you are using.. 3.08 is the latest, upgrade to it if you aren't running it yet.

note: every time you turn the laptop on with no wideband connected, the configuration falls back to default.

try checking the nistune configuration and see if 'innovate mts' has the correct port assignment.
what model serial usb adpater are you using?
have you confirmed in windows 'device manager' that no device is present when you have everything plugged in?
what version nistune are u using?

let us know how you go.
DRIFTBOMB

Post by DRIFTBOMB »

lol sorry i cant see well so i type in caps

i have a brand new mtx-l...
and the newest version of logworks3
i have a rs232 serial to usb converter
ive uninstalled and reinst. logworks3 several times
including nistune....
when i have nistune and the wideband usb connected it gives problems w nistune comm
im gunna do a bunch of investigating today..and see wat happens
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Check that logworks 3.08 is able to connect okay (and connection is stable). If not then you have a Innovate side issue

Nistune just uses the logworks provided libraries to retrieve and display the same data.

As long as 'Innovate MTS ' and the matching COM port in File > Configuration is correct for your device then Nistune should connect the same as LogWorks does
DRIFTBOMB

Post by DRIFTBOMB »

i was on this for 4-5 hrs yesterday
innovative will not connect at all...
it seems like a comm port conflict...
i got nistune and wideband to be plugged up at same time
and for nistune to attempt to connect...but still nothing
also i read a post about overwriting the dll file...
i found it in the innovative program but do not know where it it inside nistune..so i can overwrite it :roll:
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

also i read a post about overwriting the dll file...
Nistune no longer ships with Innovate DLL files, this is why you need to install LogWorks and then Nistune. Logworks installs the DLL files that Nistune requires
innovative will not connect at all...
Does it connect inside Logworks?

When you open LogWorks and File > Connect you will get a list of ports which you can connect to. Can you see your USB-serial converter in there? If not inside Control Panel > Device Manager do you see your USB-serial device and a COM port appear (when you plug it into the PC)?
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

keep in mind that if logworks is connected to the MTS chain and you can veiw the live data stream then
Nistune can't use the MTS device.
only need to have logworks installed BUT not running/connected. Only one program at a time can use the MTS device.
DRIFTBOMB

Post by DRIFTBOMB »

yes i understand this
but it wont connect to logworks or nistune at all
ive cleared up all my other issues
but i cannot get my labtop to see the innovative mtx-l
i have all driver installed plus Microsoft fix it for device manager
and another comm port diagnostic software
also drivers for rs232 serial to usb
every time i plug it in its like the first time..and it reinstall drivers
i have uninstalled nisutne and logworks...several times
installing logworks3 first...still nothing..
i have
sony viao vgn-nr260e with vista
any ideas would be helpful...
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Okay so its an innovate problem... Perhaps ask on the Innovate forums since it appears to be some setup issue and get it gonig with LogWorks firstly

Dont bother with Nistune until Logworks is going.

Does your USB - serial converter have lights on it at all? It should be flashing when the device is turned on. Do other devices work with this converter? What brand/model converter are you using?

Does the MTX-L have serial in and out connectors? You need to stub out the serial IN if it is not used. Serial out would go to the DB-9 connector
DRIFTBOMB

Post by DRIFTBOMB »

Matt wrote:Okay so its an innovate problem... Perhaps ask on the Innovate forums since it appears to be some setup issue and get it gonig with LogWorks firstly

Dont bother with Nistune until Logworks is going.

Does your USB - serial converter have lights on it at all? It should be flashing when the device is turned on. Do other devices work with this converter? What brand/model converter are you using?

Does the MTX-L have serial in and out connectors? You need to stub out the serial IN if it is not used. Serial out would go to the DB-9 connector

i have a generic rs232 converter with no lights
and Mtx-l has in and out but only one plug to serial...
im gunna check these innovative forums and maybe get a better serial converter
thanks
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

and Mtx-l has in and out but only one plug to serial...
Initially thought that may be the issue here. With the LC-1 I use it comes with a 1/8" headphone plug which has a 9 pin connector on one end. It also comes with a small 1/8" end plug which is the terminator. If that isnt connected the thing wont talk

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/supp ... al_1.1.pdf
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/supp ... kstart.pdf
However the plug on this one has a serial in has a MTS sense so it might not need it like the LC-1. The parts listed only comes available with the one programming cable too (or daisy chain cables to the LM-2 etc)

I would try another USB to serial converter if possible and just try getting it going with LogWorks 3 for now
DRIFTBOMB

Post by DRIFTBOMB »

I would try another USB to serial converter if possible and just try getting it going with LogWorks 3 for now[/quote]

thanks mr matt...i just broke down and upgraded the converter cable...
i found out that generic rs232 software if written on a lesser os system
will not work on vista or windows 7... :shock:
thanks for the help
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

So that fixed everything then? There are plenty of cheaper chinese copy cables out there with drivers which are not compatible which can cause massive headaches.

We have seen this since PLMS started just selling consult cables and the data being sent over the interface was bad on the inferior quality cables
Mr666

Post by Mr666 »

Let me just chime in on this issue, I have personally gone through 5 x RS232 9 pin serial to USB convertor plug or cables and had to buy one recommended by PLMS to get it to work at all. I have the LC-1. So if it you can't get things to work then it is the cable and if you have gone through lots of cables then you have to keep buying them until you get the one that will work for you.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Many USB-serial cables are cheap Chinese versions. They use Prolific chipset (counterfeit) copies which just dont work. They drop bytes and corrupt data. Most items from ebay for example are like this. ]

I originally started having problems using these back in 2005ish with the pocket romulator when developing Nistune noticing what I uploaded did not match what I downloaded. I found particular cables caused corruption.

Ones like Aten or anything which have proper prolific chipsets or cables with a FTDI chipset (which have not been counterfeited to my knowledge) are the ones we know and recommend work.