LM-1 or LM-2?

Anything related to the Innovate brand of wideband devices.

Moderator: Matt

Torque

LM-1 or LM-2?

Post by Torque »

Hello ..

I would like to buy a wideband logger to use it with Nistune.

Should I go for the LM1 or the LM2?
And could I connect a pressure senor to the logger and have the (boost) pressure monitored in Nistune as well? Would be an interesting aspect (or air intake temperature?)

I don't have any OBDII vehicles, so that's not really important to me.
The LM1 comes at a better price, is the LM2 justifying its higher price tag?
(LM2 uses USB, so that one cable less compared to the LM1 (since most laptops don't have the RS232 anymore))

Apart from Nistune I would like to use the logger on my motorcycles, so analog inputs are important as well.

Many thanks,

Andrew
Matt
Site Admin

Re: LM-1 or LM-2?

Post by Matt »

LM-2 has a nicer display. I havent really compared it against PLs LM-1 yet but there are more features available if you need to use them
HermaN

Post by HermaN »

Not sure about NIStune, but generally, the LM-1 has better compatability with other software when connecting it to the laptop for datalogging. From what I have read, they are both as accurate as each other. Personally I have the LM-1. I opted for that over the LM-2, because I started off mapping Evo's and EvoScan datalogging software does not officially support the LM-2, and because of that some people have had lots of issues getting it to work with EvoScan.
Torque

Post by Torque »

Hi MermanN,

Thanks for the reply.

The LM1 I could get for around (GBP)190-200, the LM2 starts at 250 for the basic version.

What software comes with the LM1?
Torque

Post by Torque »

Hello again,

and thank your for the help.

I have just ordered the LM-2 as a kit.
Meaning it comes with all the cables and connectors and a hard-case.

I am sure the LM-1 is as good, but the price was just not cheap enough compared to the LM-2.

Now I am excited getting this thing hooked up.
:)
PL

Post by PL »

I've got the LM-1 (works great - had it for years) and I've also set up a DLP IO8 device so I can also log boost. Just used a Freescale pressure sensor (do a search on these forums - there's a whole thread on it somewhere) which piggy-backs onto the IO8 device.

I'm yet to use it in anger because I had some problems getting NIStune to read data from both the Consult port and the IO8 at the same time. Fine with either one but not happy with both at same time. I think Matt's fixed that now so I must try it again. I don't fully trust the boost sensing on the dyno I use so it'd be nice to be able to monitor it independantly.

PL
UNISA JECS

Post by UNISA JECS »

LM-2 is what I use and it has about 6 analog inputs for logging additional sensors such as MAP sensors
PL

Post by PL »

Looks like LM-2 is the goods. Might need to replace the old LM-1 one of these days!

How does it deal with scaling the analog voltage so that you get a psi readout?

Be nice if they had a thermocouple amp in them so you could do EGT too. That'd really be a good tuning tool!

PL
Torque

Post by Torque »

Well I got the LM2 today already.

The tool makes a good impression and seems to be of high quality.
It was just 50 quid (GBP) more than the LM1, but has all the cables and connectors with it.

They even added a memory card (that's where the unit stores the logs) and the card is actually 2GB large.
(so no economy card)

I will test it first on my motorcycle :) before I use it with Nistune.
And I need to fabricate some kind of clamp to attach it to the exhaust.
They recommend to fit it before the catalytic converter though ...

Can't wait to put it to work.
HermaN

Post by HermaN »

For the clamp I use the proper Innovate tailpipe sniffer clamp, but at £75, it's something you want to ensure is clamped on properly before going for a drive. Last thing you want is for it to come off and go flying down the road! When using it with a car, it's best to pull the cable tight before closing the boot so if the sniffer ever came loose it would not hit the ground and go flying.

Yes, you need to fit it before the CAT in order to get a proper reading. Either get a bung welded into the exhaust before the CAT (negating the need for the tailpipe sniffer) or fit a de-cat. If you want to keep the CAT in place, then a bung welded in would easily be the best and cheapest option.

Just a bit of info about the tailpipe sniffer, it's usually WAY OFF when on idle, because there is insufficient exhaust gas flow, but once you start cruising or doing WOT pulls it's fine. I checked mine at the bung welded into my de-cat, and again at the tailpipe and there was about 0.1 - 0.2 AFR difference between them, so the sniffer is accurate, but not on idle.
PL

Post by PL »

I thought the Innovate tailpipe adaptor was a bit pricey so I whipped up my own "replica" version. Works a treat. Their design is definitely good. I tried many other home-grown adaptors before settling on their design.

I use the same technique - mine has fallen out of the pipe a couple of times and never hit the road.

Idle readings can be done by temporarily stuffing rags around the adaptor to stop air getting sucked back into the tailpipe.

PL
Torque

Post by Torque »

Hi!

I will make my own as well, their adapter seems quite expensive.

In the meantime I have done some reading on the LM2, and I find a bit strange
that you have to remove the memory card from the unit to access the logs.
(In order to get it into the logworks software)

The unit seems to be quite flexible with the analog inputs and outputs.
You can connect all kind of sensors to it.

The sensors don't need to be from Innovate, and you can calibrate your own input curve for various inputs.
For example you could use some 3rd party pressure sensor to access manifold vacuum and boost.

Then you have analog outputs, which you can configure to suit your needs.
:)