Tuning experiences with E10 on turbo engines

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

PL

Tuning experiences with E10 on turbo engines

Post by PL »

Hey guys,

Just got back from the dyno after doing my first tune using the 98 RON E10 fuel that is becoming more common now in South Australia.

I gotta say I'm impressed. It's like some sort of wonder fuel! S13 SR20DET with Z32/550's with std cams. It was running a HKS GT2510 turbo. I just looked up the figures and these appear to be little more than a T28 (as found stock on S14/S15) but with a slightly different trim comp wheel. Looking at the boost curve this seems to be about right - it had full boost at 3300. I can post the graph if anyone's interested.

It made 217rwkw on 16psi! The average for an SR with T28 on this dyno is 185 to 195rwkw on the same boost level. The difference came from IGN timing. This thing finished up with around 10 degrees extra timing on top of what I usually run! We were getting 5rwkw for each 2 degrees of extra timing. The final figure was with a safety allowance of 3 to 4 degrees.

Anybody else had good results with E10? Can't wait to try E85!! :)

PL
modulation

Re: Tuning experiences with E10 on turbo engines

Post by modulation »

I believe in the United States E10 doesn't make a difference because they just use crappier octane gasoline, and the finished E10 product still has the same Octane as normal Gasoline..

Can anyone confirm this?

That is awesome though, 10 degrees of timing advance is a ton!
I've always heard Ethanol has crazy high octane even when compared to "race gas (105/108 octane.)"

How did you monitor for knock?
Bernardd

Re: Tuning experiences with E10 on turbo engines

Post by Bernardd »

PL wrote:timing. This thing finished up with around 10 degrees extra timing on top of what I usually run! We were getting 5rwkw for each 2 degrees of extra timing. The final figure was with a safety allowance of 3 to 4 degrees.

PL
this why I use methanol injection. can't beat the performance of alcohol.
PL

Post by PL »

Yeah, I was amazed at the timing it took. I had one (very experienced) guy with his head under the bonnet and earmuffs on plus I had a new project of mine working - some quality earmuffs with little drivers in them, hooked to a microphone tucked in near the engine block. Both of us were sensing knock at the same time so I was happy with that.

I wanted to hook up my Knocklite as well but we just didn't have time.

PL
GZ@hybridka

Post by GZ@hybridka »

From what I recall, all our pump fuel available in the US has been 10-15% alcohol for years.

I think like modulation mentioned, it is used to boost the octane of otherwise low rated fuel to acceptable (87-92) octane levels, and it sucks.
Buddyworm

Post by Buddyworm »

We're able to get E85 blended 94 RON/MON up here in Alberta now, a good chunk of which is made up of Ethanol so I'm stoked to see what it can do when I finally get around to buying some dyno time.

Anyone know what the 98 MON stuff is equivalent to using the RON/MON way of things?
PL

Post by PL »

The guys at our local dyno shop are doing an SR with E85 today. I will be taking a keen interest!

Just found out something else - United Fuels here in Oz are going to be doing 100RON E10. Wooo hooo! Dunno what the availability will be though...

http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/index.asp?pgID=65

PL
21FOX21

Post by 21FOX21 »

Yeah US has bad octanes but E85 is becoming more popular so more and more stations are starting to carry it. I have been running it for over year and it is really nice because of how cheap it is and how much performance I get from it.
Fusion Ed

Post by Fusion Ed »

Don't forget that the US has a different rating to many places (UK for one) and use MON not RON which gives a lower rating for the same fuel.
PL

Post by PL »

Hey guys,

I just re-tuned this guy's car again. It was running E10 and going really well but the lure of E85 was just too much. The bottom line is that power went from a very credible (for his small turbo) 217rwkw to 230rwkw.

Full story here:

http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/custome ... _ceffy.htm

PL