Who's put Honeycomb in the intake? (MAF Straightener)

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

my1path

Who's put Honeycomb in the intake? (MAF Straightener)

Post by my1path »

I've been seeing honeycomb air straighteners come up a lot lately. I've never run one and I'm not sure If I should...
My N60 MAF comes from a factory air box. There will be a top-mount supercharger in my future and I will probably switch to N62 for draw thru boost.

Would they yield any benefit to the N60 and N62 MAF? (maxima and z32 300zx)
Would they effect MAF translation?
I can get Honeycomb for free so cost isn't an issue.

I've read the advertising but it seems like HYPE to me considering factory cars came without them. What are your personal experiences?
Last edited by my1path on Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
wilsonthesphere

Re: Who's put Honeycomb in the intake? (MAF Straighter)

Post by wilsonthesphere »

Although I didn't look at a detailed log of a before and after. It did make a notable improvement in my blow thru setup. On a side note my Chevy silverado has with a more modern maf with straighter built-in so if OEMs are doing it you might see an improvement.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

I did some testing on it when trying out different bung sizes. This was testing 3" intake but with 3, 3.5" and 4" tubes in front of it

The straighters made a big difference with idle and stability with 3.5" and 4" tubes but not so much 3". However some customers reported that 3" made a difference on their vehicle

Just make sure they are installed properly. I've heard a couple of cases of them getting dislodged, and one went into the engine!
my1path

Post by my1path »

Good to know, I think I will do it since my new N62 does not have any screens and I have not found any realistic negatives in my searches about honeycomb.