swicthing from blow through to draw through?

If it isnt a problem or a suggestion it probably goes here.

Moderator: Matt

meet07

swicthing from blow through to draw through?

Post by meet07 »

If a maf is maxing out on blow through and I swicth it to draw through would it be completly different as far as how much power it will support? I was maxing out my ford lightning maf when installed in the tube and im considering relocating before the turbo on the inlet.....tuner said it wont make that much of a diffrence.....maybe 100 extra hp which wont work?
Bernardd

Re: swicthing from blow through to draw through?

Post by Bernardd »

I just switched to a blow thru z32 maf and in my case it required a good amount of retuning.

You might want to consider dropping the maf voltage from the lightning maf in order to read more flow or you install it into a larger housing or do both.
Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Swapping the RB30 MAF from blow through to suck through made not much difference on R31. Might have tweaked injection multiplier a little but it should only affect how air flow is measured converting to TP. At worst I could only see TP scales maybe need changing if injection multiplier needed changing?
meet07

Post by meet07 »

meet07 wrote:If a maf is maxing out on blow through and I swicth it to draw through would it be completly different as far as how much power it will support? I was maxing out my ford lightning maf when installed in the tube and im considering relocating before the turbo on the inlet.....tuner said it wont make that much of a diffrence.....maybe 100 extra hp which wont work?
What about my question Matt.....hp wise is there a difference.
bachig24u

Post by bachig24u »

100 extra HP .... The maf only occupied 5.5square cm's from the pressure pipe, affectively, what about 1.1% of the pipe.
The MAF doesn't make power it just reads air mass or blocks airflow but as it was in the pressure pipe to start with, best get a new tuner if that what he's telling you.

you need to put the MAF in a larger tube to affectively read a large range - draw through configuration, (mount @ 1,2,3,9,10,11 or 12 o'clock) and it will take more air mass to peg it. Start with a 100mm/4 inch housing.

if the MAF is close to the turbo add laminar screen and/or a smooth radius funnel to the air cleaner housing to improve idle transient airflow and reduce delta air.

note: As HPX is not known to Peg due to its internal electronics being modified, the ecu (ford OEM, not sure for neesan) is the next failsafe using limp mode if the voltage goes out of scope.

also a quick fix might be a new Lightning MAF w/diablo maf extender. The HPX is not for the faint hearted.
It takes a lot of calculations to get close in some cases but its worth the effort if you need to push over 800 pony mark.
meet07

Post by meet07 »

So putting the lightning maf in a 4 inch tube setup as draw through should support 500+ hp?